Broadband Absorption Panel Fabric

DWatson

New Metal Member
Nov 26, 2011
Hello everyone,

I'm about to begin building my own broadband absorption panels and have all of the materials priced and planned out besides the fabric. I'm using Owens Corning 703 to make some 4'' and 2'' thick panels and wanted to get some of your opinions on what fabric has worked for you guys, or some that might not work.

I know that depending on the frequencies you are looking to absorb, you may want to use different fabrics, but you also have to be concerned with not letting any of the small glass fibers getting through the fabric as well. Since one of the panels I may use as a cloud..I'd really like to make sure those fibers can stay in the fabric as much as possible.

I was recommended by other people and while reading other forums that Burlap or Cotton Muslin works well. While looking at those fabrics someone working at JoAnn Fabric recommended their speaker fabric. I'll attach a link below.

http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-black-speaker-cloth/zprd_03514023a/

I would imagine with it being speaker fabric that it would be pretty acoustically transparent, but I'm wondering if stretched too tight it might become to porous as well.

I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or advice since I know a lot of you on here have made some yourselves.

Thanks!

I bought really basic muslin from Joann for about 50 cents a yard with a coupon. Works great and looks good once it's stretched over the frame really tight.

Cool, I am leaning towards Muslin..it's cheaper and everyone seems to be getting good results from it.

When I applied mine to my frames I put it on slightly damp out of the washer and pulled it really tight before stapling it. After it dried it looked like stretched canvas or something. Might be worth a try.

I used muslin for the backs and burlap to cover. If I make more, I won't use burlap. It looks like crap and lets me breath in lots of CO703. I would use muslin to cover the whole panel.

Get the muslin cotton at that joann place. It's 1.99 a yard but they have a coupon that gives you 50% off. So it'd be .99 a yard.