Some Advice on DIY Bass Traps

MetalWorks

Apr 19, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.myspace.com
I am getting ready to build close to 30 traps.

I built 1 proto type using 3/4" x 4" wood to build the frames.

Im using 4" thick 2'x4' Mineral Wool.

I have a fabric I will be using to cover it.

The 2 things in question are:

1.) The backing of the frame

2.) Wraping it with batting or just wrapping it with the Fabric

I have looked up various DIY Bass Trap Building on the net and forums but dont find too much info on complete construction.

Seems like everyone just talks about what insulation they used and what fabric they covered it with.

Then it just shows a final picture with the wood frame and fabric.

I have seen some sites that used a 1/4" Pegboard as a backing.

I have seen others that just used wire or wood bracing across the back of the frame to hold the insulation in and then cover it all with fabric.

Another person told me you can use solid plywood from 1/4" to 3/4" thick and seal the whole thing. Said that Depeding on what plywood you use can determind the frequency of absorbtion.

So I am a little uncertain as to what I should do.

I am thinking of sticking with the Pegboard backing.

Dont know if I should be sealing the inside edging of the backboard and frames or not since the pegboard has holes already.

I dont know if I even need the batting.

I think it was only used to cover the insulation and keep the small fibers from getting out.

Should I not worry about wrapping it with batting and just wrap it with fabric?

Should I use 1/4" Pegboard Backing on all, some or no backing at all?

I am budgeted to use batting and pegboard but if I dont need it I wont mind saving $220 in batting and pegboard.

Any advice is appreciated.

I built a bunch of these out of OC705 a while back. After I made my frame I laid my fabric out on the floor underneath the frame and put the OC705 in it. With the extra wood I had from making the frames, I cut it in to about 6 small strips for each trap. Then I drilled one of these strips in the 2 top corners, the 2 bottom corners and 2 in the middle to hold the OC705 in from the back. The fabic will be enough to hold it in the front. Then I just wrapped the fabric around and stapled it onto the frame so it looked nice. I think you can definately save the $220.

I used batting, just because I knew at some point I might want to run over them with a vacuum cleaner and I'd rather not suck mineral fibers out into a mini cyclone even if I do have a HEPA filter.

I assume you are straddling a corner, so backing is not only unnecessary, it would defeat the purpose. Even pegboard would be somewhat reflective.

Sealed chambers are for resonator panels and the like, not corner bass traps. You can use wire mesh (chicken wire, screening or something, even just folded over fabric into sashes) to sort of strap strategically across the back.

i use 4" mineral wool board with no frame just wrapped in fabric. ive heard the frames will actually cut down on the absorption. i wouldnt use the pegboard for bass traps. just wrap them in fabric you can breath through and prop or hang them in place. mine seem to work really well. the frames look nice and all but i think you would have to do alot of cut-outs along the sides and tops so they will absorb as well. good luck

i use 4" mineral wool board with no frame just wrapped in fabric. ive heard the frames will actually cut down on the absorption. i wouldnt use the pegboard for bass traps. just wrap them in fabric you can breath through and prop or hang them in place. mine seem to work really well. the frames look nice and all but i think you would have to do alot of cut-outs along the sides and tops so they will absorb as well. good luck

+1

I'd try to go for this option as well, made semi-popular and cheap by www.readytraps.com. It'd be quite easy to sew your own fabric to create 'bags' if you will that hold and support the mineral wool.

It will be easier to hang, quicker to make and keep your wallet heavy with green.

I have the Ready Traps bags and filled them with 4" thick Rockwool. They look ok but I'd prefer a more rigid type of insulation next time around as Rockwool can get "pillowy" (lumpy) over time without a support frame. They made a big improvement on the room though.

Cool forum!

You can make bass traps from just about any fabric, and rock wool or Owens Corning 703 (preferred). Make them 4" thick (100cm) or thicker and place them across your vertical corners. Then, place them on the walls to your left and right (at your mix position). Treat the wall in front of you and on the ceiling, and your room will be killer sounding. So will your mix.

I created a DIY Bass Trap tutorial that is now on YouTube. It's 100% DIY from materials you can find locally. Check it out:

If anyone has questions, let me know and I will help you.

~ Joel DuBay

www.myspace.com/powermadband
www.readyacoustics.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Ready Traps bags and filled them with 4" thick Rockwool. They look ok but I'd prefer a more rigid type of insulation next time around as Rockwool can get "pillowy" (lumpy) over time without a support frame. They made a big improvement on the room though.

Rock will is very easily acquired as 703 is a bit harder to get.

But yeah, try to go with 703.

703 does seem to be a little harder to get, but you can find it on the net and have it delivered to your door. That saves a drive, and the stuff works awesome. We use it in all of our Chameleon and RT Series panels (except the 422's) and we love it. It's got a kick ass fire rating too. In any case, using it with the DIY tutorial above should put you in a great position to mix like a pro, or just make your whole studio sound a lot better.

~ Joel/ Ready Acoustics

www.readyacoustics.com

Can you get rockwool in the states? Is that just another word for fiberglass insulation?

Rock wool has similar absorptive properties to 703, depending on the density. The fire rating is no better, but the cost definitely is. Rock Wool is made from sand, while 703 is further refined and made from glass fibers. (fiberglass)

The problem with Rock wool is that it dries out and can become crumbly, especially at the edges. Heaps of folks complain about getting pre-made traps of rock wool and cardboard and they fall apart.

Both products are available in the States, and rock wool is common in the UK, Europe, elsewhere. There are variations of 703 out there too: John Mansville, CertainTeed, etc. 3lb density rigid fiberglass is my fav.

~ Joel/ Ready Acoustics

www.readyacoustics.com

what about mineral fiber? Is that Rockwool? To be honest, I've posted in other threads about this stuff, and I've never seen it in person. It just isn't available here in the midwest USA.

I've been thinking about buying some online, but I feel like I know little about it.

what about mineral fiber? Is that Rockwool? To be honest, I've posted in other threads about this stuff, and I've never seen it in person. It just isn't available here in the midwest USA.

I've been thinking about buying some online, but I feel like I know little about it.

thats what im wondering myself i cant find anything to use up here in michigan

The problem with Rock wool is that it dries out and can become crumbly, especially at the edges. Heaps of folks complain about getting pre-made traps of rock wool and cardboard and they fall apart.

~ Joel/ Ready Acoustics

QUOTE]

This is true.

When I first bought my Mineral Wool/Rock Wool some of the corners were crumbling apart.

Some had large chunks that fell out in various places.

Wasnt too big of a deal but I can see how you would want to keep Rock Wool in a frame so it doesnt bend or break apart.