Adhering to one genre of music as a studio

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
How many people advertise themselves as a studio that just does metal/hard rock? Do people ever say they will mix anything from hip hop to country to metal to pop? It seems like (at least on here) everybody sticks to one general genre and I want to know if its more beneficial to do that or do lots of genres.

Personally I feel like sticking to one genre is great because you can really master the techniques within that genre, at the same time it completely limits your market and you have to be really good at what you do to break through.

Opinions?

While it might limit you to working with rock/hard rock/metal, in most cases, it is actually a better business model to do so. People will come to you and respect you more.

Think about it like this......Would you rather hire an expert in a genre or hire someone who is pretty good at numerous styles. I would always go for the expert

I couldn't do it, personally, but I barely listen to metal anymore.

I'd say that sticking to one kind of style in the sense that you're not going to go from double kick + triggered kit to ORTF on a bluegrass drummer on a daily basis is a good thing, but I think it's beneficial for guys who do metal to also branch into rock, pop punk, maybe even some straight up pop. Metal has an emphasis on editing, rock on vibe, pop genres on vocal layering/production (among other things), etc. They all help to make you better at everything you do.

precisely, you'll learn a hell of a lot more about music and production in general by getting in to other things. that said i also barely listen to metal any more but to me its better to be more open minded about everything and try and appreciate whats good across a whole spectrum of things.

I think it's important in this economy, if you're trying to make a living, to be able to work with other genres. I've only ever done two metal records. 90% of what I record is folk/ reggae and indie rock. If I went after specifically metal, I'd just be in my bedroom programming drums for terrible bands all day. No thanks. I love metal, 80% of what I listen to is metal, but it's a pain in the ass to record. But maybe that's because I live in San Diego and there's really not a big metal scene here.

In my bio it says I can do everything. But the first band I did was my brothers metalcore/post hardcore band so since then I seem to have had inquiries from bands of the same genre.

However, I do have an acoustic act coming in soonish. Only reason is because I work with one of the members and we were just talking one day.