Adrenaline - Inspired By Anger

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Adrenaline - Inspired By Anger
2004 - Self Released
By Philip Whitehosue

adrenaline.jpg

Usually, I avoid anything even vaguely related to that most reviled of sub-genres, rap-metal, with a fervour usually reserved for evading your moustachio'd grannies kisses when you're three years old. But when I witnessed this young, Pelsall/Aldridge (that's in the UK, folks) quintet tearing up the stage at the quarter finals of Battle Of The Bands (review available in the Live Reviews section), something about them made me sit up and take notice. Maybe it was the fiercely delivered dual vocal interplay, or the occasionally rather inventive riff-work, or perhaps it was simply the sight of a group of people absolutely giving their all on stage. Whatever it was, I was duly introduced to the manager (thanks to Jack from Push Bar To Open for that...) and blagged a copy of their self-released EP.

Well, the simple fact is that Inspired By Anger doesn't quite manage to live up to the experience of seeing Adrenaline perform live, but considering that it's a self-financed demo, it comes pretty damn close. The production is quite clear and balanced, although the guitars sound a little scratchy, and the kick drums are a tad weak (it's times like this you really notice the benefit of drumkit samples overdubbed in the production, huh?) However, that occasionally inventive riffwork is still in evidence - see the harsah, harmonic-based intro to 'Eye Contact' and the breakneck pacing of the closing moments of 'Adrenaline'. The vocals sound different too - less screamy and harsh, more high-pitched and... well... young.

As for the rapping elements - well, we're not exactly talking Busta Rhymes here - the lyrical venom spit here is aimed in the direction of, apparently, teachers ('Lesson Learned') and various other suitably adolescent targets, in a functional if not exactly breathtaking manner. Kudos for the excellent lyric 'I'll run you over/in a stolen Range Rover' though... Generally, this is a well-written, aggressive-sounding rap-metal record with some nice riffs, a bucketload of passion and a certain urgency. However, what may hold Adrenaline back somewhat is their relatively juvenile outlook. Yeah, I know you're only young guys, but you need to think about who you want to pay attention. A temporarily dedicated but ultimately transient crowd of teenagers, or the more serious-minded music fan?

7/10

Adrenaline Web Site

Next up were Walsall five piece Adrenaline www.adrenaline.has.it a band who weren’t in danger of being taken to trading standards for misleading their customers! Adrenaline delivered exactly what their name suggests with the most energetic, pumped up performance of the night. Their sound, a mixture of rap and metal was delivered with seething aggression by the bands two frontmen Dave and Bo who, like the rest of the band looked totally consumed in their music throughout the performance. Drawing on influences such as Rage against the machine, Slipknot and System of a Down, Adrenaline won the xposed band of the year competition in 2003, and on this performance it’s not hard to see why.

http://www.kerrangradio.co.uk/Article.asp?id=39508