Adrian Erlandsson is the new Paradise Lost Drummer

Lord Byron

My Uncle Is A Retard
Sep 9, 2005
Ireland
Just read it on their myspace..

British gothic metal act PARADISE LOST have confirmed that Adrian Erlandsson (Cradle Of Filth, The Haunted, At The Gates) will be their new full-time drummer!

Guitarist Greg Mackintosh comments:

“Adrian has been a friend and acquaintance for some time. After calling me to see if the drumming position was still vacant, we quickly arranged for an audition right before entering the studio to record our new album. We knew immediately that he was the man for the job. Playing the songs with him felt very natural. He is the same age as us and from a similar musical background. Unfortunately it was too short notice to play on the new album but everything we do from now on will have Adrian involved.

We look forward to rehearsing with him when we leave the studio and to doing our first show with him in Norway on April 10th (Inferno Festival).”

Adrian Erlandsson adds:

“PARADISE LOST has been one of my favourite bands since I first heard them in 1990. When my fellow Brujeria member Jeff Walker told me that PL were looking for a drummer I got in contact with Greg straight away. After a few chats and emails I was on my way to the audition. I had learnt 10 songs out of their last setlist, but after playing only 4 songs Nick said “The job is yours if you want it”. Great success!!

I look forward to growing even older with the lads and rocking hard with them live!!!!”

:headbang:

Yeah, pretty cool. I'm curious how he'll play the generally slower stuff of PL compared to the fast stuff he did mostly with AtG and CoF.

I was thinking about this too. IMO there are two options. Either he won't change PL style dramatically or he will add some agression and speed to their sound.

Hmf..he is a good drummer, but he didn't add much to COF when he was there. The new COF drummer is way more interesting...but sure, Adrian will do a good job. The drumming has never been a big part of what makes Paradise Lost work well IMO.

Hmf..he is a good drummer, but he didn't add much to COF when he was there. The new COF drummer is way more interesting...but sure, Adrian will do a good job. The drumming has never been a big part of what makes Paradise Lost work well IMO.

True but saying that I think when Jeff Singer joined the band they had never sounded as tight before. Just my opinion though.

True but saying that I think when Jeff Singer joined the band they had never sounded as tight before. Just my opinion though.

That might be true. Your opinion is as good as mine..hehe.
Btw, on the selftitled PL album Jeff did however make me like him a bit. If you check out the song "All you leave behind" and just after the second time Nick says "the sun is gone forever". Just a very cool simple yet very cool drumming from him there...and yes, I guess very tight..heh

I have always like PL, but to me the best moments came from HOST. Whether you like the direction they took or not doesn't matter insomuch that the songs were fantastic. Yes depeche mode sounding, but stuff like Permanent solution (have you heard more electronic sounding version) were class songs.

I have enjoyed the albums since but really I think they missed the boat on that album when they caved in and went almost backwards a bit. I just think that was their thing, the sound that was where PL were headed from the time they dived of with One Second.

Problem was they did Host and then released Believe in Nothing, which it sounded like they did - worst PL album.

I mention this hear cos the drumming stopped and breathed room for more electronic style.

I still play host as one of my top fav albums ever.

PL was never really a drum-centric band, so I don't think this will very much affect the sound of the new album. That said, I thought that Jeff Singer's drumming on In Requiem was worthy of praise, particularly the way he managed to inject some personality into his performance whilst always keeping the greater song in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lostinthestudio

I'm beginning to get really excited about this album...and it's of the strangest and silliest of reasons..but it's because it's the same producer as Katatonia had on their last album. That and some of the song names that just appeals a lot...for a change.

I'm pretty sure the PL guys have heard everything Jens Bogren has helped produce...way to go Katatonia..and Jens for that matter! Now I'm confident that the new PL album will sound as perfect as i possibly can!

And yes, for those who wants to enter the COMPETITION... http://www.mayones.com/eng/news.html?nid=193

Ok I'm late as anything, but here is a big and complete AWE TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

I fucking love this band.

PL is great band, but all drummers of it sound the same. The band has it's finished style and Adrian will not make much difference IMO. Only concert drums may be will be changed)

I couldn't disagree more. How can you say that Archer's drums on Icon are anywhere near the brilliance of Draconian Times? There is a stark difference, and I still maintain that the DT drums have one of the best sounds of any drums anywhere. Each drummer has his own style and flavour.

The drums are important. I hope Adrian can pull it off.

I have always like PL, but to me the best moments came from HOST. Whether you like the direction they took or not doesn't matter insomuch that the songs were fantastic. Yes depeche mode sounding, but stuff like Permanent solution (have you heard more electronic sounding version) were class songs.

Agreed about Host being one of their best albums. While Symbol Of Life is my personal favorite, Host isn't far behind. The more electronic sounding version of Permanent Solution is the radio mix found on the Permanent Solution single. Songs like that and So Much Is Lost (Sanbreeze CO2 Remix) make me wish that they would use more electronic influences in the future; however, I'm content with what they're doing now and wish them luck with Adrian.

for me, Host was their biggest failure. after Draconian Times (my favourite PL album) they let down quite much with One Second, but after Host i completely lost my faith in this band. it was the biggest disappointment i experienced with a band i like. Believe In Nothing was not much better. Symbol Of Life and Paradise Lost sounded a bit better, but quite uninspired and uninteresting instead. with their latest release they really surprised me. it's a really strong album. i can sense a lot of freshness and spirit in the songs. it's obvious the band had lots of fun while recording this album. it's very sincere

i agree with requiem about the huge improvement on drums on Draconian Times, compared to Icon

for me, Host was their biggest failure. after Draconian Times (my favourite PL album) they let down quite much with One Second, but after Host i completely lost my faith in this band. it was the biggest disappointment i experienced with a band i like. Believe In Nothing was not much better. Symbol Of Life and Paradise Lost sounded a bit better, but quite uninspired and uninteresting instead. with their latest release they really surprised me. it's a really strong album. i can sense a lot of freshness and spirit in the songs. it's obvious the band had lots of fun while recording this album. it's very sincere

i agree with requiem about the huge improvement on drums on Draconian Times, compared to Icon
My thoughts exactly, except maybe for DT being my favourite, I love Shades of God and Icon equally (and the first 2 records are great too). And hell yeah, Lee Morris was a vast improvement compared to Matthew Archer.

Very much looking forward to the new album.