Advice for your 25 year old self?

you are around a third dead.

Advice for my 25 year old self? I've got three years to figure that out.

Hardly, my life was so accelerated in those years I never had a chance to lay back and soak in a day, or a week or a month. I turned 40 last summer and over the past 2-3 years put the brakes on. Good times. The time comes along to where you realize all the expectations in life are a bunch of horse shit.

Get the fuck away from the TV too, all that fucker does is rot your brain.

Nothing especially poignant or helpful to most comes to mind at the moment, but off hand, I'd tell myself to stop trying to buy back my creativity and inspiration with fancy and expensive instruments. It doesn't work. :(

25 has been a very big eye opener year for me. As I'm soon to be 26, I can say that when I was turning 25 I had a real hard time when I put it into the perspective of being a quarter of a century. But in reality and like almost everyone has been saying, it's just a mental approach.

When I turned 25 I realized that I was sick of being depressed and anxious, and letting it control my life. I quit my job, I started my own business and have had the most relaxed, enjoyable year yet of my life. Now here I am, sitting in an Amsterdam cafe having a cup of a tea and reading a book, about to take a 2 week trip to Morocco, followed by 10 weeks of backpacking the rest of Europe.

I know it's a little of a stretch to imagine doing the same, I got very lucky and I'm extremely fortunate to be here now. I have no illusions to how fortunate I have been so far.

If I could give anyone any advice, is if you've ever had a thought of wanting to do something out of your comfort zone, like live in a foreign country, or traverse a mountain range, or buy a kayak, or even something as simple as get out of debt, it only takes putting yourself into that mind set and realizing life is what you make of it. If you spend 2 years getting out of debt and saving money for something, have a goal. Write them down. In 1 month, this... in 2 months, this... in 6 months, this. Always within reach.

25 has put a lot of things into perspective for me and I really can't wait to see what life is going to throw at me. I've been at the lowest thanks to having depression and anxiety for 10 years, and even here on the other side of the world I get bouts of it. But I can look at it in perspective and know that it is what it is.

Hopefully I'll have it all worked out by 25. But of course I won't.

Anyway here's a song.

Last edited by a moderator: