Advice needed for my studio

Contra Studio

Jul 13, 2011
Hell Paso
Hi guys I'm in a crossroad with we're I can take my passion for music eng/production. I'll make it short, and to the point.
I had a studio out of my house and it went well, made money but sucked cause i use two small bed rooms to track and mix out off. So I meet a guy that's starting off with his studio and needed gear for his studio building. Mind you it's under 600 Sqf but it's better then what I had. So we joined forces he was the owner and I'm a contracture. We went with 60/40% on bands me the 60. But he also has a employee that works with him. With the other guy I make no profit but they still use my gear. So making money off my stuff. A few of my friends and family said I'm selling my self short and that I should get a % of the other guys work. So I told him about me getting a cut of 10% or going 70/30% now he's crying saying that I'm taking advantage of him and I'm not a man of my word etc and if i leave it will hold the studio back for months cause all they have is a 003 factory and two mics before i came over.. mind you there's more to this but I'm making it short. So do I go back home and work out of there or stay with this guy?? I was thinking of opening my own studio space..
Thanks

simple.

The other guy must give some of his profits to his 'employer' right? why would you pay someone and make nothing off it?

so of everything your 'partner' makes off his 'employee' you are entitled to 60% of those profits.

So assuming his employee records a band for a day, and makes $1000 and gives him say 20% ($200), you are entitled to 60% of that 20% (60% of $200 = $120)

If the original agreement was you make 60% of profits from the studio, to bad for him. tell him to suck it up.

He's not going to let you leave, no matter how much he complains. After all, you have the gear. Demand what you want.

This.

Other guy is using your gear to make records and you're not getting paid? Fuck that shit. Dude can either pay rent for using your gear or use his own, simple as that.

Well I'm splitting from him now, but one option I have is coming back home. But that means tracking drums in a bed room 12x12 and less then 8 feet tall D:

You learned a valuable lesson! Put things in writing. the 60/40 split counts towards all studio income.

IF you partner up always sign an agreement and get it notarized. Business is business.

Good luck!!

Well I'm splitting from him now, but one option I have is coming back home. But that means tracking drums in a bed room 12x12 and less then 8 feet tall D:

Plenty of people track in 12 by 10 rooms with good results so you should be fine :) Maybe you can put some boards up to make it 12 by 10 (not square!) and put boards up against walls to make the walls non-parallel.

I'm building my studio from the ground up with two 12 by 10 rooms and no parallel walls :)

You learned a valuable lesson! Put things in writing. the 60/40 split counts towards all studio income.

IF you partner up always sign an agreement and get it notarized. Business is business.

Good luck!!

I did, I have now since beheaded that other guy and buried his body in mexico while his head was left in a ditch.

Plenty of people track in 12 by 10 rooms with good results so you should be fine :) Maybe you can put some boards up to make it 12 by 10 (not square!) and put boards up against walls to make the walls non-parallel.

I'm building my studio from the ground up with two 12 by 10 rooms and no parallel walls :)

Bah! I just learned its 8x8 :d