advice on recording vocals..

ATLA

Oct 12, 2007
The North
hey guys, im going to try and record my buddy doing some vocals tommarow but i need advice..

i have pretty crappy akg d-9000(it came in a cheap 2 for 80$ sale) and just a 2 channel tascam into my pos dell with sonar 6 prod. ed.

i have 2 mic stands and im going to attempt to make that makeshift tent thing somone talked about in another thread and that will probably be the best i get for room sound.. but my real beef is mixing.. im very unexperienced here and i know if i try adding a little reverb and some chorus it will thicken it up a bit, i just need some tips on how to EQ it?

hes got a good range for screaming, like Threat signal style highs, jfac growls ect.

im not looking for amazing results i just want to try and get the best out of what i have..

any and all suggestions would be appreciated,

without flaming you, your best bet is to honestly try a search. hand held mic like the one you have is probably the best bet on a budget. get him to sing like its a gig, you wont need too much sound absortion/diffusion (IMO).

try EQ before you dabble with reverb. boost a few low mids (800-2K) should be a good starting point. other than that, jump in the deep end!

atcually i just realized i wont need to do mixing because im sending it to a freind to mix it with the rest of the song. I did infact search before i posted, its just that i dont understand alot of the stuff you guys say sometimes.. like i said im really new to this, the only thing i really can do in sonar is put my gp midi drum files through dfh, record with my pod using impulses and recently i learned how to make use of the normalize function wooo!

but thanks guys ill try to mess around with what ever i can, and basically try to just make him perform best of ability.
i was thinking of putting my amp up to gig volume and having him try and warm up like that, and then go from there..