Advise for Cro-mags or Leeway type drum sound

traintown

New Metal Member
Jan 27, 2006
Zug, Switzerland
www.traintown.net
Hey Guys

Gotta mix a hardcore band tomorrow. They aim for a 80’s sound and told me to do something like on Cro-mags „age of quarrel“ or Leeway, where they were pointing out the song “rise and fall”.

In case you don't know the leeway song: http://www.myspace.com/leewaynyc

The drums sound great and it’s gonna be quite nice to mix them. But it’s much more the type of reverb that gives it this special huge 80’s drum sound I guess. I am usually using Altiverb 6. Do you guys have any ideas how I could achieve this sound?

Attila

Sounds like a medium-sized verb on the snare with a shorter tail... maybe softly gate it at the end if you can't get that short tail. Other than that, just sounds like a very room-mic'y feel to the whole thing... mix more towards your room mics and overheads is all I can suggest. But I would treat the kick as you do any metal kick- very up front on that album.

Do you guys have any ideas how I could achieve this sound?

Mid 80's Cro-Mags kick sound is not a metal kick. It's more a lowend punch with nice mids and additional sound of room, than a typical, scooped click with no mids. Listen the entering of "We gotta know" on "Age of Quarell" - there's a lot of compressed room in Cro-Mags early recordings drum sound. If you don't have track of room mic, then try to use stereo overhead tracks and compress it lightly with fast attack ant auto release settings to extract room sound. Don't highpass overheads, let a snare will be heard in it. But if You have a room mic track - saturate and compress it hardly (I use psp saturator plus psp mixpressor with fast realease setting) and mix it with rest of drumkit - and that's it!

alright! i have a mono room mic and will thought to use quite a lot of it. other than that it's the reverb on the toms that ist extremely important to the guys. I will give it a try now. the band comes in tomorrow. lets see what they say.

Listening to the Leeway myspace...

Oh god i love that kind of drums...

You should also check out Madball's "Look my way" for drums tone reference, even if they sound a tad more modern/less natural than Leeway's i think.

Been a lot into Leeway's Born to Expire & Desperate Measures albums lately, i would love to hear some production info on those records.

I can't believe that it's been done in 1987-1989, considering how amazing the production is. Not to mention the songs kick ass and were ahead of their time. I LOVE the drums sound and playing by the way. Pokey Mo (currently playing in Agnostic Front, also been in Merauder during the Five Deadly Venoms (my fav. Merauder album) era).