ADX reunion gig

Fangface

Child of the Damned
Jan 25, 2002
France
www.fangface.com
This topic will very likely draw only Wyv's attention, but who knows... :)

Last Saturday night cult local Speed Metal heroes ADX, formed as early as 1982, reunited in a small town in the middle of nowhere (Montereau). About 300 people attended the show but I think half of them were only there for the local openers... *sigh*

If you don't know ADX, take Metallica era "Ride the Lightning", add more melodic vocals, fastened Maidenesque melodies and galoping rythms, spice it with Priest-ish mid-tempo and (very) heavy riffing, and you get the general idea.
As a result they're a very guitar/riff-oriented band, while the lyrics deal with history : the middle ages, crusades, templars, inquisition, kings, revolutions, famous and twisted/dark figures in history and literature, etc. Nothing common with Manowar and the likes though, it's written in an historic and sometimes humorous/sarcastic perspective.
Check reviews of the first LP here : http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=4254

As for the gig it went pretty well even though that was their first in 7 years! The new guitar player smokes, he and the bass player (5 strings bass, former Der Kaiser singer by the way) fulfilled my expectations as they did more than just replace the old guys and you can't tell the difference with the previous line-up.
The guys were damn happy to tear up the stage again, Phil made jokes all the time and the setlist ruled! You just cannot try not to headbang to "Notre Dame de Paris", that's totally heavy metal to the bone! :kickass:
The only weaker points were the average sound and Phil's voice which has aged, he can't really do the high vox anymore ("Déesse du Crime"...) but it's still ok otherwise.
A good comeback that has to be confirmed and possibly improved on January in Paris for the DVD shooting!

Setlist :
Les Enfants de l'Ombre (feat. crowd singing because of no mic working for most of the song :D)
Notre Dame de Paris
Le Jugement de Salem
Résistance
L'Etranger
Marquis du Mal
Résurrection
L'Ordre Sacré
De l'Autre Côté
Déesse du Crime
---------------------------
Nostromo / Suprématie
Brocéliande
Caligula

==> Pics below :

Phil

adx20qk6.jpg

BY and Betov :

adx81el0.jpg

adx92oe0.jpg

Klod :

adx57lt4.jpg

adx15ng4.jpg

adx16nm8.jpg

adx38jb7.jpg

adx53jg6.jpg

Sharing beers with the fans :D

adx71eo4.jpg

Astounding Flo! I recall you mention it on another thread but seeing it kick some serious ass.

If people never have heard of them try to get some material, I only have "VIII Sentence - Live" but it'll give you an idea of what is all about. Fang recommendation on French metal has turned me into a fan: Blaspheme, High Power, ADX, Manigance, Killers, Malediction, Attentat Rock, H-Bomb, Sortilege (the masters of them all)

Hawk said:
Good pictures Wyv! I'll have to check those guys out! :headbang:
As much as I'd like to visit my buddy Wyv in beautiful Costa Rica, I still live this side of the pond hehe :D ;)
Seriously ADX might well be your cup of tea my friend, I don't really know but at least they got riffs :)

The pics were taken by some guy I know actually, I never take pics at concerts myself since you can't headbang properly with a camera :D Ahah well, almost.

Wyvern said:
If people never have heard of them try to get some material, I only have "VIII Sentence - Live" but it'll give you an idea of what is all about. Fang recommendation on French metal has turned me into a fan: Blaspheme, High Power, ADX, Manigance, Killers, Malediction, Attentat Rock, H-Bomb, Sortilege (the masters of them all)
It's my pleasure!
ADX are the thrashiest of the bunch with Killers, they don't really play thrash metal (except on "Weird Visions" and "Résurrection" at times) but they've got all the speed you can ask and the guitar work is damn heavy! I highly recommand their first 3 :kickass:

Discography :
- "Exécution" : Commonly available on CD, a true classic of froggy speed metal, thanks to killer riffs throughout the whole album.
- "La Terreur" and "Suprématie" are sadly out of print (except for some crappy bootlegs). Fans usually rank "Exécution" higher but I think they rule just as much as "Exécution", especially "Suprématie" which has most of my favorite ADX songs and features an improved production.
- "Exécution Publique" is a good live representation of ADX intensity through the eighties, I guess it's now rare on CD but not impossible to find. Way too short (40 minutes / 8 songs) but excellent!
- "Weird Visions" was their first and only English sung record, back when they signed to Noise Records to gain more worldwide exposure. Competent songwriting and more thrash influences to be found but I think it's their weakest effort : Phil's vocals lack the charm they used to have and his English pronunciation is terrible (even mine's better :D), there's also less atmosphere than on the previous records. Kick ass riffs though, as always! ADX split some time after this one...
- "Résurrection" was the reunion album, wrapped in a more modern production. Back to French lyrics and catchy choruses of the old times but still retaining the heaviness of "Weird Visions", maybe even heavier sometimes. It doesn't hold up to the first 3 but it's definitely a nice addition to ADX discography.
- "VIII Sentence" is their last live record, recorded in 1999. Awesome setlist, tight performance, too bad the vocals aren't as good as they used to be.

=> My ranking :
1/ Suprématie
2/ Exécution
3/ La Terreur
4/ Résurrection
5/ Weird Visions

Besides the live CDs, another solution to get into ADX is "In Memorium", a best of compilation released in 1998 before "Résurrection" came out, it should be still available I think. Very good selection of songs.
Review : http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=35427

Orfanos said:
but the best from France is Sortilege.:heh:

:kickass:

D'ailleurs, investi d'une mission
D'ailleurs, il reçoit ses instructions
D'ailleurs, sauver ceux qui, comme fui, sont
D'ailleurs

Orfanos said:
I prefer their songs sung in French.
So do I, by far. Same goes for most bands (from any country) whose singer can't sing with a decent English accent... do it in your own language!

Very good band, but the best from France is Sortilege.:heh:
Heh true ;)
A reunion almost happened a few years ago, but the project failed and it's probably not going to happen now...