Aeon Zen: Enigma

prman

May 8, 2007
I´ve never heard of this band and I stumbled upon this album on Spotify. It really took me by surprise. It´s progmetal but not in a Dream Theater or Symphony X kinda way. Bits of it remind me of Devin Townsend, Scar Symmetry or Muse.

If you´re looking for something fresh to listen, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Their YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/aeonzenmusic
A tune from the album:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me a lot of Scar Symmetry, although slightly more progressive. The Blond guy is channeling some Mr. Dane too.

Divinity is one of the heaviest song on the album, and there are only maybe two other songs that come somewhat close, yet are still not really as heavy. I can't really get into Symphony X, Angra, Pagan's Mind or Dream Theatre that much. I'll listen to their albums a few times, but there's never anything that really hooks me. It just sounds like a bunch of technically proficient clinics after a while, with a few interesting riffs. I can hear some of the Townsend comparison, but those too are rather fleeting.

If you like any of the bands mentioned, you'll probably like this band.

It's very good if you like that sort of thing. I'm just so over this style of music that I can't get into it anymore...it's been done to death and is almost as bland as death metal now. Every time I hear an odd time signature or weird polyrhythm, I have this irresistible urge to go listen to doom metal.