After Forever @ BB Kings, NYC (10-21-07)

Tramz

OSA Council Member
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island, New York
I'm working backwards because the last thing i've done this week is the freshest in my mind. After seeing Nightwish on the 16th in Philly, 18th in NYC and 19th at the Vintage Vinyl signing in Jersey, this week long event of friends, concerts and fun would draw to a close with an excellent, if somewhat short set from After Forever.

Now i am not a fan of bands that i like getting haphazardly put on the ticket with an obviously unrelated band, such as the case as occasionally happens when Overkill tours. You get 2 separate crowds, it's like two separate concerts in one. In this case, the AF crowd came in, watched the concert, most of us left, and then the majority of the Overkill crowd came in afterwards. Really i wouldn't mind this half as much if the first band wasn't treated like an opener with an equivalently short set. I suppose however, that it's a good thing as it left me wanting more. Hopefully a North American headliner will be in their near future.

After Forevers set itself was on point. Everyone was fantastic. André Borgman was kicking ass on the drums, and even Sander Gommans, whose growls i have never been a huge fan of sounded very good to me. Then of course Floor just sounds so amazing live. It has been my opinion that she is one of the finest voices in metal today and seeing AF live has only increased this belief. There was some guy standing next to me who asked someone else who the first band was going to be (which was AF) and if they were any good. During AF's set you could see he was totally into it. I was surprised that any Overkill fans could get into it. I heard a few completely ignorant comments before the show like, "my problem with female fronted bands is that they all sound the same". Every time i hear someone say this, i want to step up to them and ask them how they feel this differs from male vocal bands. I guess these people think female vocals are a gimmick, so it's all the same gimmick to them. This mentality seemed prevalent among Overkill fans. And then a few others there for Overkill found it boring. So it was good to see that there were at least a couple open minded individuals among the few Overkill fans who decided to get there early.

But enough with the words, now here's some pictures:

setlistgy5.jpg

The After Forever set list.

afterforeverww7.jpg

Luuk van Gerven, Floor Jansen, Bas Maas, Sander Gommans

afterforever1sl7.jpg

Floor Jansen

afterforever2ly4.jpg

Bas Maas and Floor Jansen

afterforever3ih2.jpg

afterforever4ky7.jpg

Floor Jansen

afterforever5di8.jpg

Luuk van Gerven, Floor Jansen, Sander Gommans

afterforever6ug4.jpg

Joost van den Broek (who i couldn't get good pictures of all night, being on the other side of the stage. but we all know how much he rocks from his work in Ayreon and on the Star One tour dvd, not to mention all of his contributions to the modern AF sound!), Bas, and Floor

afterforever7vj8.jpg

Sander Gommans

afterforever8jb1.jpg

Floor, Sander, Luuk

afterforever9fc3.jpg

Luuk, Bas, Sander

afterforever10lq7.jpg

The band gets ready to take a bow.

Tramz, thanks very much for the pictures.

While the AF show at BB's was VERY GOOD and Floor as you said, sounds INCREDIBLE live, I was left a little bit puzzled by the setlist.

I mean no songs from Invisible Circles? Even if some people don't like that album....I am 100% convinced it is their best work to date. The setlist was just kinda weird. And also..no "Being Everyone"? Oh well, kudos to them I guess for playing what they want. Just kinda sad, who knows if they'll ever come back here.

and not that it matters, but Floor is absolutely beautiful in person.

It looks like After Forever is doing the whole "Country and Western" look for this tour, carried over from the album artwork.

Does anyone have the AF album that came out before the current one? I haven't been able to find it anywhere!

It looks like After Forever is doing the whole "Country and Western" look for this tour, carried over from the album artwork.

Does anyone have the AF album that came out before the current one? I haven't been able to find it anywhere!

Hehe the album cover is the Omega symbol, not a horse shoe ;] But i'll give to you about their choice in clothing.

@Sinerchris: I'm one of those who wasn't really a big fan of Invisible Circles. Musically it was on point, but the album was just depressing. So really i wasn't let down by the lack of IC material in the set list.

Invisible Circles is practically a musical with how much storyline goes into it so I think it would have been hard to pull off some of those songs....lol especially with how bad the voice acting parts are... BUT, I think Digital Deciet would have been PERFECT in concert.

I mean no songs from Invisible Circles? Even if some people don't like that album....I am 100% convinced it is their best work to date.
I agree, fantastic album, has some of their best melodies and aggressive pieces...Sander rules there. Only downside is the god-awful voice acting...did they just pick a random joe & jane off the street? OY! :zombie:

i get to wonder if they did the voice acting parts completely outside of the recording of the album.

i.e. they did them separate from the album sessions and the actors never heard the context in which their voices were used.

methinks it has to be so, cuz Amanda Somerville (female voice) is American and knows how to use the language well obviously.