After Forever-Exordium 2003

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
After Forever-Exordium 2003

Transmission Records

www.theendrecords.com/

After Forever, list singer Floor Jansen as "soprano" on their liner notes, which after listening to record is more than accurate. She has one of the most unique female vocalists that I have heard in a long time. The run down on the EP, the band wanted to put something out to tide over their fans in between records. The disc features 6 tracks in all, one being an incredible opening instrumental (Line of Thoughts), two covers, on Evil that Men Do, the band does a masterful version, anyone that can play a Steve Harris bass line has my utmost respect. The second cover being One Day I'll Fly Away, having heard the original many moons ago & not thinking much of it, I have to say that given a different spin, I "like" it. The other three tracks being original compositions featuring the vocals of Floor Jansen. This being my first ever exposure to the band, I have to recommend this release to those who are heavy into the power metal scene & those that are into AOR. A very consistent record, that displays tight rhythms, razor sharp precision, big bottom bass lines, operatic melodic vocals & solid song writing. I will anxiously await the next full length record.

1.) Line of Thoughts

2.) Beneath

3.) My Choice

4.) Glorifying Means

5.) The Evil that Men Do

6.) One Day I'll Fly Away

*Includes Bonus DVD with music video, live performance & other band related surprises.

I'm a maiden fan and I like their version of 'the evil that men do' BETTER than the original. Floor sounds like she is have so much fun singing it....the guitar solo is well done...and the keyboards fit nicely.

After Forever is my favorite band right now. Anyone interested in power/opera type metal needs to give this band a good listen.

I've been really disappointed with After Forever lately. I got bored with Exordium pretty quickly and never really enjoyed Invisible Circles.

Floor doesn't seem to be giving it her all and the rest of the band seems completely out of ideas. Oh, and the concept for Invisible Circles was shitty. I hated those melodramatic scenes.

As for something good with females vocals, I've been into Aesma Daeva. Much better than AF lately.

Thanatopsis123 said:
I've been really disappointed with After Forever lately. I got bored with Exordium pretty quickly and never really enjoyed Invisible Circles.

Floor doesn't seem to be giving it her all and the rest of the band seems completely out of ideas. Oh, and the concept for Invisible Circles was shitty. I hated those melodramatic scenes.

As for something good with females vocals, I've been into Aesma Daeva. Much better than AF lately.

I agree and disagree with your points.

I agree that the "concept" of Invisible Circles is kinda lame and the story dialogue in Between Love and Fire completely ruins an otherwise great song. I think when they move on from this album their "ideas" will be as great as ever. "Concept" albums are stupid to begin with.

I disagree with what you said about Floor's singing. I think her singing on IC is actually better than on Decipher. More powerful and more refined. Both in terms of her power metal voice and her operatic voice.

I'll check out that other band you mentioned. Thanks.