After listening to my bootleg of Saxon @ Brixton Academy 2001 all I can say is...

Twisted Tony

Old School Metalhead
Mar 18, 2002
Bricktown, NJ
Visit site
Saxon pretty much blew away Judas Priest!!! I've got the Priest Live In London DVD and Priest's performance was great. But Biff had the crowd going! He truly is a master frontman. Tim Owens just didn't get the crowd into it like Biff did. But then again I could be wrong. I am only going by what I have seen and heard on the DVD. I wasn't there. But the bootleg I have (thanks Black Lagoon) totally projects the energy that Saxon was giving the crowd that night. Priest pretty much looked like they were going through the motions.

Anyway that's my opinion. SAXON KICKS ASS!!!!

I don't think they did as it seemed the Priest stage crew were testing the lights etc during Saxons set which pissed Biff off no end. I thought Priest were good and the Live In London CD is excellent but I can't help feeling that their best material is well behind them. Ripper Owens isn't going to write another Beyond the realms of death (or anything at all by the looks of it!) and I don't think Tipton/Downing write the same quality material they used to with Halford. I'd say the Saxon Astoria gig was better than the Priest Brixton gig but they didn't blow Priest off that night. Let's get them both on at Donington with UFO and Metallica and see who's best!;)

Yeah I got to say that Saxon probably didn't blow JP off stage at brixton. But it didn't help that most of the JP fans didn't bother getting there until late. Biff must have felt really disappointed at the lack of people there when Saxon hit the stage. But once brixton did fill up, then it was really rocking.

I got to say that JP did do a good show that night.

I have seen Priest many many times with Halford and Ripper, technically I actually think Ripper has a better voice and is a better showman/frontman.

The biggest laugh I have had in recent weeks was seeing the ad for the DVD and CD and I quote for "the legendary Judas Priest show at Brixton Academy". Now call me old fashioned if you like but I have in my mind a legendary show would be a gig that was sold out and people hanging off the balcony, creating a frenzied atmosphere! Not as was, a gig with less than 1000 people in a venue that holds upwards of 3000, the balcony wasn't open, downstairs was nowhere near full. And the atmosphere during Priest was reminisent of an adequate covers band going through the motions in a pub.

This is in no way a dig at Priest who are genuine rock/metal legends, but as I understand it Saxon where added to the bill in the hope of increasing ticket sales.

As for Saxon's performance (I admit I am biased), yeah the Priest crew where testing the lights during their set but it didn't interfere in any way with Saxon's performance and the atmosphere and crowd reaction during Saxon's set was 10 times the reaction Priest created.

Seeing the lights being tested reminded me of Bon Jovi buzzing Donington in a helicopter during Metallica's set in 1987, and quite frankly bearing in mind Priest gave Saxon the gig in the hope of increasing ticket sales you would have thought they would have showed a little more respect.

Anyway rant over, thank you for bearing with me.

:D

in reference to the last post the figures for the performance were totally wrong. brixton holds 5000 people roughly and priest had at least 3000 there. I mean come on Saxon played to 2000 people at the Astoria in Jan, and thats really good. But priest have more fans than Saxon for sure. I was suprised that Saxon filled the Astoria, it was a monumental night, Saxon ALWAYS deliver the goods live and are my favourite british metal band!!!

Sorry Strange Highways.

But the balcony was closed, you could not go upstairs if you wanted to.

To walk up to any of the bars at the rear of the stalls you didn't even need to say "excuse me" the crowd was that sparce.

At the front it was busy, but nothing like a sold out night at Brixton.

My 10pence worth on the subject.

Saxon were awesome that night and got a great reception from the hardcore that actually got away from the pub to see them. They didn't blow Priest offstage, but they certainly gave them a very close run. The only reason they didn't was because Priest had a bigger crowd and better stage show.

...and yes the balcony was closed and downstairs was quiet.

I will start off by admitting that I wasn’t at the gig. The reason for this though was not that I would have to travel down from Scotland, but the shitty time of year, right before Xmas if memory serves. This to my mind was probably the reason for the spaces in the crowd.
As for the Biff/Rob/Ripper debate. All three have quality, but for my metal-head, Biff and Rob walk it, not just through vocal ability but with their 30-odd years experience that gives them the ability to work the crowd like Casanova working a clit!:lol:
The Priest DVD appears to back me up on this, with the fairly flat/average atmosphere.
Give Owens another 20 years;) and he may run them closer.