Age Of Silence........Reviewed

The Scourge

Suicide Machine
May 26, 2003
Drowning in a sea of addictions
Now here is an album that I have really been looking forward to for quite sometime now. Given the cummulative talent involved, especially the virtuoso fingers of Lazare, nothing less than a masterpiece should be expected. So imagine my shock after reading the first review of this album that I could find:

http://metalreview.com/albums/default.aspx?album=1110

This seems like a pretty narrow-minded and biased shit-ass review to me. So I propose after purchasing or hearing the album when it is officially released on the 14th, we, the Borknified users, should post our own interpretations here. Okey-dokey?

Can't please everyone, I guess :loco: Did quite some experimentation with the vocals and the production, so I'm not surprised some people are put off by it, hehe :D . Here's another review from Darksoul with a quite different view on things:

"Age of Silence is the Norwegian super group featuring Lazare (BORKNAGAR,
SOLEFAD), Eikind (KHOLD, TULUS), Hellhammer (MAYHEM, ARCTURUS,
WINDS), and two other lesser known (but no less talented) members who go
under the names Extant and Kobbergaard. Last but not least is the amazing
Andy Winter, mastermind behind WINDS.

Now, describing what this band is all about is a bit harder and I hope they
don't get offended if I am a little off in my perception.
Age of Silence's website looks like a corporate site pushing it's latest product,
and if you read the mission statement under the product tab on the site you
get even further confused.
Basically in the guise of a clinical corporate entity the band, through music,
explores human behavior with philosophical twists and lyrical imagery.
I'll stop there and let you decide for yourself what it is all about, as I can at
times weave to much into a concept with my own thoughts.

Is this music original, is it different, you ask? In many ways...yes.

While at times I am reminded of Winds (for good reason) and Dream
Theater, it has a few later years Dimmu Borgir and Emperor moments.
The majority of the vocals are clean, but the music is consistently heavier
than it is in Winds, there are many similarities of course.
The music itself has a stronger edge, and an almost disturbing feel to it.

I always find it interesting to hear what known metal musicians can do when
they explore outside the genre a bit, sometimes the results are poor but in
the case of Age Of Silence the results are excellent.

I had to play this cd a few times to let my brain wrap around the concept, to
fully absorb all that is going on in the music. I knew I liked it almost
immediately, but each time I play the cd I get something different from it.
Which I think is a good thing.

Stand out tracks you ask? All of them. Each offers something entirely
different than the last, and all of them brilliant. As Andy Winter said in his
recent interview with us when speaking of Winds latest album, it must be
enjoyed as a whole.

I would recommend this cd to fans of; Arcturus, Winds, Solefald, Time
Requiem, Dream Theater, and the lighter material by Dimmu, Dark
Tranquility, and Emperor.

For more on Age of Silence visit them online at:

www.ageofsilence.com"

I got this and i have to say i personally didn't especially like it. I'm not saying it sucked hardcore or anything, but it sure as hell wasn't my cup of tea. Keep in mind mr. The Scourge that since i don't like a project of a member of Borknagar, that does NOT mean i condemn the band nor the individual in question. In fact, i interviewed Andy for his Winds disc (which i loved) and he is the coolest fuckin' guy ever, but that doesn't mean i feel the need to kiss the ass of everything he plays on. While listening to the disc, i was amazed by what was going on, but it did nothing for me personally. Oh well, doesn't mean some folks won't dig it.

those are 2 very different reviews... it makes me really curious about the new album, from the sample that was on the end records site i thought it would be great... will have to wait till i get my hand on this one:)

theodyssey said:
I got this and i have to say i personally didn't especially like it. I'm not saying it sucked hardcore or anything, but it sure as hell wasn't my cup of tea. Keep in mind mr. The Scourge that since i don't like a project of a member of Borknagar, that does NOT mean i condemn the band nor the individual in question. In fact, i interviewed Andy for his Winds disc (which i loved) and he is the coolest fuckin' guy ever, but that doesn't mean i feel the need to kiss the ass of everything he plays on. While listening to the disc, i was amazed by what was going on, but it did nothing for me personally. Oh well, doesn't mean some folks won't dig it.

No worries. I have yet to hear the cd as well, so when I do, I will post my own thoughts here. I am not trying to say everyone should like the side-bands that their favorite artists perform in. Bias, especially fan-boy bias, is a great source of ignorance and is totally unnecessary. I just meant to point at that the review in question simply seemed a little narrow-minded and completely partisan. Cheers.

Hmmm I really like the song that is available for download....and I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the whole album. I have to wait till the 4th of october though to buy it...can't wait !!

I got it in the mail today. The vocals are certainly something I'll have to get used to on a few tracks, but apart from that it's quite good :)

finally ive been able to listen the album... it sounds great so far, and the more i listen to it the better it gets, the vocals and the keys are really amazing, but i dont really like the sound of the guitars, don't know why

So which tracks from this album do you guys like?

Personally my favourite is 90° Angles. Followed by Auditorium Of Modern Movements, The Concept Of Haste, Of Concrete And Glass and A Song For D Incorporated. The rest is pretty cool, too.

I have to eat my own words now. Andy recommended i listen to it a few times because most of the people who really love it have to absorb it and listen a few times. Goddamnit....

No, this is really growing on me. I agree that there is something with some of the guitar tones or maybe just production in general that needs to be tweeked a bit to bring out the full flavor of the disc, but i'll be damned if i don't like it. Great work guys! Count me as converted hehehe.

By the way, review coming soon.