circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Age of Silence – Acceleration
The End Records – September 14th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

age.jpg

I had high expectations for this project, which boasts members such as Lazare (Borknagar, Solefald), Hellhammer (Mayhem, Arcturus), and Winter (Winds). Thankfully, Acceleration is a rewarding journey.

“Auditorium of Modern Movements” begins oddly enough, but segues into a sullen, melancholy state as Lazare’s vocals are delivered rather unemotionally. Keys punctuate the melody and the song does get heavier in the mid-section. “Acceleration” is an Arcturus-esque romp with hints of Winds in place. The vox are heavily layered here, and gruff vocals make their appearance at the one-minute mark. The synthesizers really add an ambient effect that is recognizable throughout the entire album. All the while, the lyrics paint an unfavorable illustration of drab industrialism and dehumanized façades. “The Concept of Haste” commences with a quick pace; the guitar leads are excellent and Si’s vocals (2:35) provide some much-needed differentiation. The song outros with an intriguing, piano melody, courtesy of Winter. “A Song for D. Incorporated” is catchy, as is “The Green Office and the Dark Desk Drawer”. “90 Degree Angles” ventures from the beaten path by utilizing a somber-yet-majestic motif. “I No Longer Know if I am Mad” follows the trend of the former track; guitars sans distortion accompany spoken word vocalizations. But, “Synthetic, Fabricated, Calculated” delves into familiar territory once again. Needless to say, the musical performances on this disc are exquisite.

Acceleration, even at approximately forty-five minutes in length, ends too soon. The super-group has released an excellent platter which houses a multitude of darkly inspired compositions that transcends droves of what’s being churned out nowadays. Age of Silence should most definitely remain an audible entity.

9/10

Official Age of Silence website
Official The End Records website