Age Of Silence - Complications: Trilogy Of Intricacy

Darkmatter

Vox/Gtr
Age Of Silence - Complications: Trilogy Of Intricacy
The End Records - TE061 - October 2005
By Vince Levalois

AgeOfSilence_complications.jpg

Never having been exposed to much Black Metal, I was innately ill prepared for the historical aspects of the members of Age Of Silence. Solefald, Winds, Borknagar, Acturus, et al, fog the picture for me as far as this band's references are concerned, some of which I’ve heard of in passing, but shied away from due to my general apathy of the aforementioned style.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm, the music contained in this sixteen plus minute EP follow-up to "Acceleration" does not stray from these ears: three slow to mild mid-paced compositions with somewhat disjointed vocal melodies. Visually, Travis Smith brings depth and curiosity to the first impressions, however, "Complications: Trilogy Of Intricacy" is a tough title to swallow whole, as well as its lyrical content, which explores the complex nature of human behavior and makes an attempt at understand it through the portrayal of insipid human situations. Unfortunately, the music follows suit.

At the risk of being flogged by lovers of the new wave of the Avant-Garde post-Black Metal movement, I must say that the persistent droning of doom tinged drumming and constantly harmonized vocals (more akin to the genius of Cynic) wear out their welcome after the first five minutes. Moments of excitement are few and far between among the three tracks presented and offer little hope of picking up the pace to more interesting passages. "Vouchers, coupons and the End of a Shopping Session" comes closest to breaking the mold, yet Age Of Silence's "Complications" falls short, providing only a sluggish ending to this diminutive version of more quality Doom releases from the likes of purists Trouble or Cathedral.

6/10

Official Age Of Silence Website
Official The End Records Website

I still think this one was better. The lyrics were more captivating and a nicer mental image overall.

Also, i never have thought of Age of Silence as a post black metal band or any of that. Just because the members are involved in projects more along those lines doesn't mean you should judge this based on the same criteria. Just my 2 cents.

DoomsdayZach said:
Also, i never have thought of Age of Silence as a post black metal band or any of that. Just because the members are involved in projects more along those lines doesn't mean you should judge this based on the same criteria. Just my 2 cents.

The fact that the members in this group come from more extreme backgrounds didn't influence my thoughts on the music itself, but your point is well taken.

I give this like 1/10
totally fartenhörghish shaizum no pleasure also that sucklefack album disgusting
Stay far away sticker in front neccessary imo