\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Suicide Silence - The Cleansing
Century Media - CD9977342 - 19 February 2008
By Paddy Walsh

21839.jpg

One of the more hotly touted bands of the oft-maligned 'deathcore' movement, this Californian fivesome at least boast myriad influences, from death metal, grind, black metal, hardcore and even doom. It's thus a little disappointing on first listen that The Cleansing seems as though it could have come from any of its creator's contemporaries; except on further inspection that's not really the case. A few listens on and you might start to see what the band was harping on about. Sure, the slower passages barely warrant a tag of 'doom influenced', such as can be heard throughout 'Unanswered' and 'Hands of a Killer'. Yet the tail end of 'The Fallen' exhibits a gloriously epic pseudo-black metal workout, and little moments of potential greatness tend to pepper this release. Elsewhere it's business as usual, and if you've been gobbling up releases by the likes of Whitechapel, Job for a Cowboy and Despised Icon these past couple of years you'll likely want to check out these bruisers too. All the requisite elements for the genre are present and correct; death metal growls interspered and overlayed with grindcore screams that at times have a tinge of hardcore shoutiness to them, pinch harmonics that would make Dimebag Darrell blush in his grave, and a somewhat dry production (courtesy of Tue Madsen) that threatens to suck the life out of proceedings. Nevertheless, Suicide Silence are adept and show plenty of potential on their debut, and a further elaboration on their more unconventional aspects will do wonders for their future prospects.

Official Suicide Silence Website
Official Suicide Silence MySpace
Official Century Media Website

I hate this band, Deathcore is weak and generic.

Again I think the post above was based on opinion, I think it's rather opinion based in a way you'd say you'd hate them..
I mean, I understand every band will get bad feedback at times but I think your opinion is rather prohibited..
I understand and may sound a little hypocritical in saying this "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all" I understand this is a discussion forums and the band should be discussed but alone, I think that is to stupid to discuss..

To DarkestDivide: Be quiet
Suicide Silence sounds like every other deathcore band, but with altered guitar sound effects. The vocalist should not be allowed to sing for the band, they should hire a new vocalist.
As for the music, chugging the same note over and over and over doesn't take much skill. Maybe if this album was released in the 70's than that would be ok.
They are over repetetive in each of their songs, and most of them sound the same.
Overall, this band should not be popular until they release a half decent album.