Aghora - Formless (killer sophomore release)

Do you think it's better than the first? I liked the first a fair bit, but i wasn't completely blown away. It has been about 6 years since i heard it though, and back then i was more into "traditional" prog metal. I think i'll bust out the CD tonight.

i think it's definitely better then the first album. drums and bass may not be that complex as on the debut, but they flow much better with the songs instead. guitarwork is improved and the vocals are leagues ahead. finally, the production is nothing less than perfect. this album also has the necessary heaviness, which the debut lacked sometimes.

I'd checked out their debut coz of all the "masterpiece", "best thing since cynic" etc thrown around it, and it was a bloody boring piece of shit. It sounded like the really terrible emo poetry written by people who shouldn't be doing so. And the female vocalist was horrible. I'm pretty sure this one is not much better.

I'd checked out their debut coz of all the "masterpiece", "best thing since cynic" etc thrown around it, and it was a bloody boring piece of shit. It sounded like the really terrible emo poetry written by people who shouldn't be doing so. And the female vocalist was horrible. I'm pretty sure this one is not much better.

Based on what? Your complete lack of knowledge about it? I hate the first one too, but this one isn't half bad.

Well... I did check out the song Atmas Heave and apart from the fact that the kid in your sig dances in tune to it there is not much to interest me in it. The vocals esp. make the music so souless. Thrashy riff is decent though.

Well... I did check out the song Atmas Heave and apart from the fact that the kid in your sig dances in tune to it there is not much to interest me in it. The vocals esp. make the music so souless. Thrashy riff is decent though.

Try the one more recently posted on there, "Open Close the Book," it's pretty different from Atma's Heave.

http://www.myspace.com/aghora

It's not exactly earth-shattering, but it's quite enjoyable and the vocals are light years better than the thin, wavery, quasi-ethnic junk on the first cd. Atma's Heave is frequently kind of annoying prog metal noodling, I hate those fast scale figures in the intro, reminds me of shadow gallery or something. I like both songs though, so you probably won't be overly impressed :p

You can also check out their CDBaby page if you want to preview each of their songs. This disc is truly amazing. The production is killer. I've heard the first Aghora for six years and this one only a few months. It's hard to say whether it surpasses it at this point, but it's certainly as good, if not better.