AH fuck. Mac is dead.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
Tech called and said the logic board is fried. SOOOO...

NEW MAC TIME!!!!

Since I have no idea how the intels perform how would a "MAC PRO DUAL XEON 2.0GHz QUAD" compare to the old quad G5 quad 2.5gHz?

Cause I'm thinking this is my next machine. I would snag an 8 core but it's not in my budget. :erk:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's an issue of increased throughput rather than output (via faster front-side busses and/or larger caches) which reduce bottlenecks :headbang: Now did you get any discount on your new one?

Since it was a refurb through a 3rd party company (that I don't want to do business with again since I bought that machine a little over a year ago) no.

I went used on ebay through a private seller, the machine has apple care till November of 2010.

Item specifics - Apple Desktops
Condition: Used
Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
Product Family: Mac Pro
Processor Speed (per Core): 2 GHz
Screen Size: --
Processor Configuration: Dual Core
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5, Leopard
Memory (RAM): 2 GB
Primary Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo
Hard Drive Capacity: 250 GB
Bundled Items: Keyboard, Mouse

You are bidding on an Intel mac pro that is 1 and a half years old.

It is in excellent condition, it currently has an Applecare warranty which will expire on 11/30/2010.

MAC PRO DUAL CORE 2x2.0GHZ
250GB SATA 2GB (4x512mb)

SUPERDRIVE

ATI RADEON X1900 512MB

The new systems e.g. Core i7, Athlon 64, Phenom and Phenom II don't have an FSB as their memory controllers are mounted directly on the CPU. The front side bus was only necessary to bus data between the CPU and the memory controller on the northbridge ;)

The new systems e.g. Core i7, Athlon 64, Phenom and Phenom II don't have an FSB as their memory controllers are mounted directly on the CPU. The front side bus was only necessary to bus data between the CPU and the memory controller on the northbridge ;)

Ah, coolness, dunno what the Northbridge is, but it's old and therefore (in the computer world) useless, so whatevs! :D

so now its just proc->southbus instead of proc->nbridge->sbridge? interesting.

I dont want to piss on the amd bonfire but intels outclass them majorly clock per clock still.

Plus a lot of plug-ins rely on Intel CPU instructions to function. Since Apple adopted them, and people are trying to code universally, it's a no brainer!

I have to say the overclocking process for the i7s is a bit odd, but solid enough once you come to grips with it. Seems the BCLK replaced the role of the FSB, but everything else is a bit sideways.