Air Guitar Championship

Sep 1, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
From Yahoo:
Hendrix Act Rockets Man to Air Guitar Champs
Mon Jul 8, 3:22 PM ET

-WELLINGTON (Reuters) - Strumming the air with his fingers has earned a New Zealand man a trip to the other side of the globe for the Air Guitar World Championships, New Zealand media reported Monday.

Toby Peneha, 28, won the New Zealand air guitar title last month imitating late guitar icon Jimi Hendrix, earning the right to compete at the world event in Oulu, Finland, in August, the NZ Press Association (NZPA) reported.

Peneha started strumming invisible strings when he was a 14-year-old listening to heavy metal music.

"I heard music and felt it and started moving my fingers. Maybe I'm just a born air guitarist," the meatpacking plant worker from Hastings, 160 miles northeast of Wellington, told NZPA.

"I can play a few chords on the guitar too, but not as good as I can move my fingers."

Peneha, who has sung in a band but never played the guitar, first strummed an imaginary guitar in public at a friend's birthday party in a bar.

In Oulu, he will compete against the national air guitar champions of Australia and Austria and defending world champion Zac Munro of London, according to the Web site of the event organizer, the Oulu Music Video Festival ( www.omvf.net).

The winner gets a real electric guitar.-

Does this seem sad to anyone else also?? :D :)

Edit: Damn this was supposed to be in the off topic section.