Bleakest Harvest

\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Akercocke – 09/01/04 – Live at the Temple Bar Music Centre, Dublin

Support from: Sikth

By Paddy Walsh

Having released what was easily one of the best metal releases of 2003 with the awesome Choronzon, it was now up to Akercocke to prove to the masses that the evil that emanates from that record like a disease wasn’t just an exercise in studio trickery but a product of the band itself. Riding the crest of the recent spate of simply the most amazing and decidedly vicious metal bands to come from England in some time (alongside the likes of Anaal Nathrakh, Mithras, Axis of Perdition etc) Akercocke, while preaching to the already converted, still had something to prove. Could they stand up to their position in Earache alongside label mates such as Morbid Angel and the newly signed Deicide in the live arena?

Having a band such as Sikth as support to a band like Akercocke sounded somewhat dubious to me. Sikth are as far removed from the headliner’s brand of satanic black/death onslaught as you could imagine. Instead, they play a brand of ultra technical metal that echoes the likes of The Dillinger Escape Plan with more imaginative vocal lines and a more liberal use of melody. That’s not to take away from them however, their music is awe-inspiring at times tonight, the twin guitar and vocal interplay being mesmerizing and confusing all at once. Being familiar as I am with their magnificent The Trees Are Dead And Dried Out, Wait For Something Wild opus, I can report the songs were played with the utmost precision and gusto, and even the fact that the guitars were sometimes buried within their own complexity didn’t seem to mar things and they played a very convincing set, with the incredible ‘How May I Help You?’ being a particular highlight.

Soon after Sikth’s all too brief set arrive the headliners, and they open with a crushing rendition of ‘Enraptured By Evil’ from Chroronzon. The first thing to strike me about Akercocke is the vocals of Jason Mendonca, for they are truly amazing! This guy has a unique growl/rasp type thing he does that I honestly have never heard before, and I’d even go so far as to say he sounds even better live than he does on record. The band’s presence cannot be faulted either, decked out in their trademark suits, all metal poses and Mendonca pulling some serious grimaces whilst growling in that aforementioned inimitable style. With a near perfect set list that includes choice cuts from Choronzon and The Goat Of Mendes including the epic ‘Leviathan’ and the evil as hell ‘Of Menstrual Blood and Semen’, Akercocke are almost flawless tonight. The only gripe I had was that the guitars seemed slightly low in the mix, which took away from what should have been a monstrously heavy set. Nevertheless, Akercocke are brilliant tonight, and even the omission of ‘Praise The Name Of Satan’ from tonight’s show doesn’t spoil things for me. All hail the new kings of the British underground as Cradle of Filth continue to languish further and further into mediocrity.