Album of the Year, 2014

I like Leprous' vocalist. I like the singing on Soen too. It sounds like a Swedish guy singing English. I'd say the it sounds more like Mikael Akerfeldt than Keenan.

^-- Åkerfeldt might indeed be closer in sound than MJK, depending on how much emphasis one puts on the accent. As far as the (attempted?) style goes I've always though the latter was a more natural comparison though.

The Soen guy just makes me cringe, but accurately describing all the reasons for that is probably beyond me for the most part. It doesn't help that I find myself getting more and more picky about lead singers as time rolls on, especially when it sounds like they're being forced on territory that's... somehow beyond their ability to handle convincingly. 'Cause the guy doesn't sound half as bad when he's being a bit more subtle.

1349- Massive Cauldron of Chaos
Threshold- For The Journey; Not to belittle the last two, which were superb, but this one has just that little extra oomph and darkness that makes it so satisfying
Kuolemanlaakso- Tulijoutsen; Finnish doom metal. So satisfying and so much ambience and bar none, one of the best doom bands out there.
Orange Goblin- Back From The Abyss
Mayhem, Insomnium, Solstafir, Opeth, Electric Wizard, and many others are somewhere up there. Once I get more time, I'll have a full scope, but these are all pretty damn high up there on the list.

^-- Åkerfeldt might indeed be closer in sound than MJK, depending on how much emphasis one puts on the accent. As far as the (attempted?) style goes I've always though the latter was a more natural comparison though.

The Soen guy just makes me cringe, but accurately describing all the reasons for that is probably beyond me for the most part. It doesn't help that I find myself getting more and more picky about lead singers as time rolls on, especially when it sounds like they're being forced on territory that's... somehow beyond their ability to handle convincingly. 'Cause the guy doesn't sound half as bad when he's being a bit more subtle.

I played this and Pale Communion back to back and was surprised how much a like they sounded at times...

I just found out that not only Angra have a new album out, but it came out in December. Strange thing is that I would occasionally look out for news on a new album and there was never any word about one so they must have just kind of announced and released it REALLY close together or something?

Anyway, it came out a bit too late in 2014 for me to be able have time to listen and absorb it as a 2014 album; however, it did just recently release in North America this month so I COULD just consider it a 2015 release...