Alexi's Springs

charli

Oct 7, 2009
Hey guys, I saw the position of the springs in alexis guitars,
and i tried to do it in my Ibanez RG 5ex1, it has the Edge tremolo. It had a piece of metal holding the end of the springs thats not round, holded with 2 screws. So there are 4 holes for the end of the springs thats not round, but 2 of them where bigger than the others because the screw was screwed in them.
so when i put the spring in this bigger hole, it blew away, and i screwed the metal piece to the other bog hole (there where 2) so it holded it and i could put the springs in alexis position, but as i move the whammy and bend, the metal piece gets loose so im afraid that itll jump off my guitar while doing one of those,

if someone here has done it, please :worship: tell me if u had any trouble or some advice, thank you guys

Ok I actually have no idea on what I'm talking about here but have you ever thought that different bridge + spring probably won't work. Yours is a edge wtv and alexi uses OFR??? and the springs have a different tension.

I find it pointless to set it like Alexi (fanboy much :D) and you should actually experiment to make it to your liking. I spent around 3 days until I found a good string position for my C1 and I'm quite happy with it.

Do you mean setting the strings up in to this kind of shape:
/|\
I've set the springs in this position a few times, on various guitars, mainly something I do if I'm increasing string gauge because it gives the springs a little extra pull and generally makes the tremolo a little more stable. On all the guitars I've done it on, I merely unhooked a spring from the spring claw hook and hooked it in next to the centre hook and then done the same on the other side. If you're struggling to hook the spring on, you can pull the whammy bar up to move the springs a little closer to the spring claw hook; you could also loosen the screws on the spring claw hook to move it closer to the springs whilst you hook them on but... EFFORT!

The BIG holes are for the screws. Do not put them in the smaller holes as they are for the springs. You can't put a screw into a smaller hole that's not designed for it and expect it to hold!!! If there are 2 small and 2 large, then you only have TWO to put the springs in, because the other two are meant to have the screws that hold the securing plate.

Putting your springs like Alexi/Roope is such a minimal difference that you wouldn't even notice it.

Do you mean setting the strings up in to this kind of shape:
/|
I've set the springs in this position a few times, on various guitars, mainly something I do if I'm increasing string gauge because it gives the springs a little extra pull and generally makes the tremolo a little more stable. On all the guitars I've done it on, I merely unhooked a spring from the spring claw hook and hooked it in next to the centre hook and then done the same on the other side. If you're struggling to hook the spring on, you can pull the whammy bar up to move the springs a little closer to the spring claw hook; you could also loosen the screws on the spring claw hook to move it closer to the springs whilst you hook them on but... EFFORT!

nope ll\ yeah it took a lot of effort and i hurt my fingers but fuck it:) thats how u learn not to do stupid shit haha

The BIG holes are for the screws. Do not put them in the smaller holes as they are for the springs. You can't put a screw into a smaller hole that's not designed for it and expect it to hold!!! If there are 2 small and 2 large, then you only have TWO to put the springs in, because the other two are meant to have the screws that hold the securing plate.

Putting your springs like Alexi/Roope is such a minimal difference that you wouldn't even notice it.

yep i dropped the spring thing and put em back on the normal position haha sorry and thank you
btw i said there where 3 small and 2 large holes and i intended to put a spring in the large one designed for the screw, pretty stupid :cool:

I really don't know what the big deal is with his spring configuration.

I tried my guitar like that and I found absolutely no difference at all. I mean zero. It was the biggest waste of time in my life. It tunned up the same, had the same characteristics and everything.

Even tried it with different strings guages thinking maybe that would do something. Nope. nothing.

I really don't know what the big deal is with his spring configuration.

I tried my guitar like that and I found absolutely no difference at all. I mean zero. It was the biggest waste of time in my life. It tunned up the same, had the same characteristics and everything.

Even tried it with different strings guages thinking maybe that would do something. Nope. nothing.

It does make a difference but not a major one (unless u messed it up then duh). I've changed my springs to a more flexible one and now I need to use 4 springs, but its now the bridge is not as stiff as before

It does make a difference but not a major one (unless u messed it up then duh). I've changed my springs to a more flexible one and now I need to use 4 springs, but its now the bridge is not as stiff as before

I didn't notice a difference and I didn't mess it up. Been dealing with Floyds for about 6 years now.

IMO 3 springs feel like 3 springs, no matter how you set them up.

Now going from 3 to 4 springs you can tell a difference, but just rearranging 3 did nothing for me.

But to each his/her own.

If you feel it is different or makes things easier, then by all means do it.

Like dis?

moegm4341.jpg

Yes i'm cool. And no I don't know why there's money in my guitar, my guitar is just that awesome.