Jackson RR24 Issues

Inceptionist

It's Not My Funeral
Jan 19, 2013
I've owned my RR24 for 5-6 years now, and I absolutely love it, but have had two problems I've never been able to fix. Curious if anyone else who owns one has these issues too, or knows of a way to fix them.

1) Intonation - When I first got it I remember it being horribly out of intonation when it arrived. Went through and tried to fix it, but even with the saddles moved all the way back the strings were still a little sharp. I even recessed the floyd rose back a little to get some extra space, still sharp. The action is fine, truss rod is set up fine, and regardless of the strings I use, it's just not possible to intonate. Even took it to a professional to try, they gave it back exactly the same.

2) The floyd rose has always been very stiff. I've got several other guitars with a floyd rose, but this one is different. It's set up in D standard with 11's (equal to less string tension than 10's in E standard), and still needs 4 springs in the back with the claw screwed basically all the way in. When I've tried to go with three in an arrowhead shape I can't even tune it to C standard without the bridge getting pulled forward. (That part I can fix by getting some higher tension springs). But, if I try to do a "flutter" or "chirp" sound with the bar, the bridge snaps back and makes a loud crashing noise instead, as if the bridge is about to break the guitar in half. I feel this is caused by having 4 springs in the guitar, and can hopefully be fixed just buy buying some newer higher tension springs, but I'm not sure.

I know a lot of people in this forum own this guitar (or play guitar in general), so has anyone else had these issues?

Had the intonation problem on one string on a Epiphone Les Paul, but a professional guitar tech fixed it by turning one of the saddles around which gave it around 2mm more space which was enough. Unfortunately this ain't possible on a Floyd Rose.

Second problem sounds strange to me. I have three springs and it's not anywhere near screwed to the bottom and I have 10-50 strings. Only thing I can come up with is that your springs are really loose.

Definitely possible on a Floyd Rose! :kickass: Skip to 6:38

And here's the process itself (~4:12)

Last edited:
Had the intonation problem on one string on a Epiphone Les Paul, but a professional guitar tech fixed it by turning one of the saddles around which gave it around 2mm more space which was enough. Unfortunately this ain't possible on a Floyd Rose.

Second problem sounds strange to me. I have three springs and it's not anywhere near screwed to the bottom and I have 10-50 strings. Only thing I can come up with is that your springs are really loose.

The pain of a Floyd rose! Going to buy some new springs soon hopefully that'll help.

Definitely possible on a Floyd Rose! :kickass: Skip to 6:38

And here's the process itself (~4:12)

Glad I'm not the only one who has this problem! Definitely extreme measures to solve it though.

Yeah it's the same with the high-end stuff. That guitar he's having troubles with is a baritone as well, makes it even more absurd, how much more length can you possibly ask for. Then again, Cannibal Corpse tune down to A :kickass: On a more reasonable tuning intonation should be manageable.

Yeah it's the same with the high-end stuff. That guitar he's having troubles with is a baritone as well, makes it even more absurd, how much more length can you possibly ask for. Then again, Cannibal Corpse tune down to A :kickass: On a more reasonable tuning intonation should be manageable.
A shame I never asked my old neighbor about intonation as he played in A standard on a 6 string guitar too.