Need help/ideas about my guitar's bridge

Nov 11, 2005
Chesterfield, England
I recently bought a new guitar but upon re-stringing it I discovered that the springs for the Floyd Rose bridge pop out of the holes in the bottom of my bridge when the they are loosened. I'm pretty sure this is because of the wear around the holes in the bridge and I wondered if any-one knew a way to stop the springs from popping out when the strings are taken off or the trem is pulled back? It's a Floyd Rose Edge from the 80's if this is any help

The guitar is really fantastic when set up so it's certainly worth the hassle to fix it but i'd rather find a way to do this other than buying a new trem cos i'd have to spend a lot to get another Edge bridge (its a custom Ibanez JEM so no cheap crappy floyd will do).

Thanks in advance for your help....

First of all, why are you restringing it if its brand new? Unless they were all really really dead.

ptah knemu said:
First of all, why are you restringing it if its brand new? Unless they were all really really dead.

I did say recently (we are going back about 3 months). The guitar wasn't brand new, just new to me. It was made in the 80's for some guy and I bought it second hand. I've currently got it set up in D tuning (full step down) but if I was to pull up on the arm, the springs would pop out and detune everything.

So, have you got any ideas then???

Silent Song said:
my suggestion would be to fill the wear in with something durable
#

I'm not really sure what I could use though, the wear is only very slight and its more inside the holes for the springs rather than on the base. I could do with something to put over the holes after the springs are in place to keep then from popping out.

Thanks for your help mate....

Some of the older Ibanez edge tremolos actually came with a little retainer that screwed on to the block of the tremolo once the strings were attached, I had one on my older rg550's. So maybe comb ebay for Edge parts, maybe you can find one...it was a awesome idea and worked great. Hope that helps.

ihave27frets said:
Some of the older Ibanez edge tremolos actually came with a little retainer that screwed on to the block of the tremolo once the strings were attached, I had one on my older rg550's. So maybe comb ebay for Edge parts, maybe you can find one...it was a awesome idea and worked great. Hope that helps.

Oh, thanks mate, i'll definately have to look around for one of those (maybe I have one laying around somewhere from one of my older guitars.) Hopefully i'll find one on Ebay though...

Thanks again for your help...

except it defeats his purpose of not wanting to spend money if he don't have to ;)

That would be your best bet other than buying another bridge..It was actually a rather clever idea!

The Pope of Heavy Metal said:
That wouldn't be it. That's a retainer for the headstock part to keep the strings in the right position.
My suggestion is that you look for the newer edge pro's from ibanez. They're great and putting on new string goes a lot faster and easier.

Cool, are the newer models the same size as the original Edge then? (just to make sure it'd fit). I can't seem to find a retainer bar for the edge anywhere on the net so it looks like i'm gonna have to buy a new bridge all together which I was trying to avoid...

Just to let you know, I managed to get my hands on one of those retainers for my Edge. It works a treat and now I don't have to use my shitty BC Rich for playing Symphony X stuff!!

Thanks to all of you for your help...

A word of Caution...

Even though a bridge is a Floyd Rose, doesn't mean that other Floyd Roses will fit the same mounting studs. In fact their are many, many bridges out there that have the Floyd Rose name, but very few are compatible with each other.

If you your springs are popping out of the block, it's probably due to the springs having a full pull on it, causing it to lay at an angle were the springs will pop out.

I would suggest simply changing the strings one by one, that way you still have the other string applying tension to the bridge so the springs won't pop out.