Shipping My Guitar: Floyd Rose

Xxso_numbxX

New Metal Member
Jun 11, 2004
I am moving and need to ship my guitars. Do any of you have any tips for preparing my guitar for shipping? It's an LTD M-100 and it has a floyd rose bridge. I have instructions for preparing a guitar to be shipped, but it doesnt mention anything about one with a Floyd Rose (or any other locking trem). I was wondering if any additional precautions need to be taken.

Thanks a lot.

burn the piece of shit and get a better guitar...but you should fine if you have a hardshell case

Unstring it. Put it in a case. Put the case in a cardboard box and tape the crap out of it. If you can, put the first cardboard box inside another slightly larger one. I've done this a cople times and never had problems. Even via UPS ground. Otherwise, what Conti said... : O

Depends what you mean by "shipping" . If you mean sending it overland by van, with the removal men the HSC thing should be fine. If it's going to be with some dickheads at a courier firm, the more packaging the better. If the case isn't fully fitted, make sure it can't move backwards and forwards (generic oblong cases are 7-8" longer than the guitar itself, and you could end up with a broken headstock, trust me!) And get insurance!!!!
If you've got decent guitars (not that Ltd firewood thing) get a road trunk for them all. That will survive just about anything, short of total disaster.

If you are flying them, slacken off the strings, put plenty of silica gel in the case, make sure they can't move about, and make sure the bridge doesn't flap about. And pray, baggage handlers are cunts, no question about it. I'd even go as far as to say, take bolt-on necks off and put the guitar in a square box, doesn't look as inviting for thieves/tossers who play footie with your babies.

Oh yes, and pack the whammy bar separately, they really beat the shit out of the finish when they are bouncing around inside a case where they have broken free!

Good luck!