Finding the cheapest floyd rose :/

MaverickStang

Sep 18, 2014
Houston, Texas
Ok really to upgrade a guitar and put a Floyd rose on it. It is just ridiculous on expensive! For just a piece of metal, you're charging $200-300 bucks. I can buy a used Jackson for that price! Anyways, I believe there is some decent quality licensed Floyd on Ebay. To be honest really if I'm going cheap, all I want is a decent steel all around and if the blocks and screws are cheap, well that's fine. Because, really I can go to my near Ace Hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, and get some better screws for cents cheap. Trying the determine what is metal and what is not, it's hard to determine if the saddles are zinc or not. I came across some perhaps good ones just by the looks of them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Floyd-Rose-Lic-Tremolo-Bridge-Double-Locking-System-Chrome-silver-GBM-/252047670505?hash=item3aaf363ce9:g:71IAAOSwgQ9VrOj0

It's not like I can't afford the original, it's just I don't want to spend another cheap guitar price for just FLOYD ROSE BRIDGE! I'm frugal and those floyd rose specials are zinc saddles-YUCK!

BEST STRING BLOCKS I'VE SEEN:headbang:! Only if they had the 42.8mm or 43mm locking nut size. :(

s-l1600.jpg

Do these floyds hold up? It's Peavey.
Original-Peavey-Floyd-Rose-6-String-Tremolo-Bridge-Black-Fit-Predator-EXP-TM.jpg

Last edited:
Well by the looks of it, my verdict is saying there is some out there that are decent quality. Finding the right set is hard. Also there is a chance that the saddles might be pot metal (zinc) or real metal. Trying to decipher between the two just by looking at all the licensed Floyd Roses being sold is a bit tough though. What do you guys/gals think? Have you found some decent high quality ones? I'm getting closer to finding some decent quality ones, even though it's not all metal, like the screws for example, which can be upgraded at cheap expense.

Last edited:
A update...I don't know about the ebay link I posted, but I'm asking the guy and I have not got a response back yet. I'm thinking perhaps since 10.8 string spacing it might be the 1-11/16? I don't know, but as a note, the quality is nice. It's hard to determine the locking nut specifications because technically alot of sellers list as 1-5/8 (42mm) and 1-5/8 (43mm), which is misleading and confusing. So if you do buy a licensed floyd rose, ask them to show accurate measurements by picture. They seriously don't know how to measure:brick:.

Well, the locking nut is 1.625 inches rather than 1.6785 inches. I expected as much, but I had some mixed responses, so it's always good to ask. I'm going to order this one, it looks like high quality for the base except the screws are alloy. This is going to be a blog forum for finding the cheapest high quality floyd rose.

A update on finding the cheapest Floyd Rose bridge on E-Bay.

First of all, I researched quite hard before I bought. Basically looking on the appearances really closely, so I that I wouldn't get stuck with a cheap pot metal Floyd Rose bridge. Like this below.

mgFloydBreakInPlace-731559.jpg

I have an eye on knowing the difference, however sometimes a bit of researching is recommended before you buy.

[The locking nut (1.6875inches)-$2.78-Free Shipping] I believe the base of the locking nut is brass.
[Floyd Rose Bridge-$24.05 plus $2.51 in Shipping (Total 26.56)]

$29.34 in total. :headbang: WIN WIN. It's possible to find a cheap price all metal. Just look closely before you buy. The only thing that really attracted me was the string blocks on this Floyd Rose Bridge item on E-Bay. I did magnet tests on the bridge and the string blocks are magnetic. Also I did taste tests, especially the locking nut because I know what brass tastes like; hey we were silly kids when we were younger:guh:. Last tests was the slight drop tests to hear a ringing chime sound. All those tests made me know for a fact my eyes were correct on the purchases. So it's basically your standard materials like from the floating tremolo steel/copper/iron. It's even cold as steel all over.

The Floyd Rose Bridge is licensed. So I'm in bliss with the quality and the string blocks are not cheap pot. It says zinc in the description. However, just a reminder strong metals can be zinc-plated. What I do believe by observation is that nothing on this Floyd Rose is just zinc (pot-metal). I believe the only thing zinc-plated metal is the perhaps the sustain block, which I tested by magnetic. The string holds on the locking nut is just pot-metal, which is not a huge issue.

The only reason to why I'm upgrading this guitar is because the bone nut I had installed didn't last due to the angle of the bridge; it's crooked. It played perfectly fine for awhile, except I believe since the angle of the bridge, while using the whammy made the lowest top string wear out very quickly or caused the slot to bind in the nut. All the other 5 strings played fine. So for the record, I want this guitar to behave right.

So if you are looking in upgrading your guitar, just precaution, take your time, research, and use this thread as a reference to help make your purchase(s).

Last edited:
Ok double checking the whole floyd rose.
  • String blocks are not pot metal.
  • Saddles are copper
  • Base plate is steel.
  • Sustain block is zinc alloy with aluminium.
I just wanted to clarify some confusion that I had before by thought on my part when testing it-More absolute to the description on E-Bay. So basically the same materials as any standard bridge or floating tremolo bridge, which is very durable.

Last edited: