Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue: production

Dexter_prog

New Metal Member
Apr 5, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Anyone heard this album? I love how the guitars sound. Sure, the album is clipped to hell (I wonder who the mastering engineer was), but does anyone have any info on what they used for guitars?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a section of loudness war on the album at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Gives_Way_to_Blue

edit: Looks like it was mr. Death Magnetic

http://www.discogs.com/Alice-In-Chains-Black-Gives-Way-To-Blue/release/2018026

Credits
Artwork By [Art Direction] - Alice In Chains , Matt Taylor
Artwork By [Design] - Matt Taylor For Varnish Studio Inc.
Artwork By [Illustrations Pages 7 & 11] - Emmanuel Polanco
Artwork By [Package Interior], Photography - Rocky Schenck
Engineer [Additional] - Nick Raskulinecz
Engineer [Second/assistant, Henson] - Kevin Mills , Martin Cooke (2)
Mastered By - Ted Jensen
Mixed By - Randy Staub
Other [Model] - Sarah McNeilly
Photography [Band] - James Minchen III
Producer - Alice In Chains , Nick Raskulinecz
Recorded By - Paul Figueroa*
Technician [Assisted By, Studio 606] - John Lousteau
Written-By - Jerry Cantrell

it's very well known by now that Ted Jensen was NOT responsible for the clipping on Death Magnetic... the mixes were already clipping when he got them.... i thought everyone on this forum already knew that, since it was discussed at length on here back when Death Magnetic was released, and Ted himself made several public statements to that effect.

it's very well known by now that Ted Jensen was NOT responsible for the clipping on Death Magnetic... the mixes were already clipping when he got them.... i thought everyone on this forum already knew that, since it was discussed at length on here back when Death Magnetic was released, and Ted himself made several public statements to that effect.

It is most likely result of a + b = c, because the guitar hero version were not clipped to death. But I still I have to give give credit to Jensen, he masters like 50-100 albums a year.

As I said numerous times before, the mix is astounding... Just not the right one for a band like AIC. The huge low-end and sample-heavy drums really only work with "A Looking In View" IMHO. The heavy compression and loudness don't really make it easier to listen for longer times.

Staub is excellent at what he does, but in comparison, I much much prefer the mixes Dave Jerden and Toby Wright did for AIC.