All Along the Watchtower (multi-layered ambient metal cover) /w vocals!

exzem

May 4, 2009
Sweden
Hi!

Felt inspired so I recorded a cover of the classic "All Along the Watchtower" this weekend, which I just finished! Also with vocals this time! Sorry I don't really know how to sing so I'm trying to mask my inability with even more layers/harmonies :)

Recording was pretty straight forward: lepou ampsims for guitars, ampegsvx for bass, s2.0 for drums (with blended kick + snare), and yeah loads of reverb/delays :D
Could elaborate if anyone cares to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, this is pretty awesome. The vocals are a little odd, (you already knew that) but the actual music behind it is really fuckin good. I'm digging the layers. It'd be great if you elaborated a bit on the whole process for what you did here.

haha yeah, I know. Singing is something I try to avoid in general :D

Sure, anything in particular?

Clean guitars (5 tracks, but max 4 at the same time) are all SoloC with lots of compression and ping pong stero delay. Some have hall reverb, some got room reverb, and there is 1 with a super long fx-style reverb (for the pre-chorus and chorus part).
Also, some clean parts are just recorded and flipped backwards, pre the signal chain.

Distorted guitars are LectO (1L 1R and 2 center for lead parts) and some light room reverb. Some cuts in 2k range and boost around 100hz to make them a bit darker.

Bass is AmpegSVX super compressed with both 10ms compression and a limiter in the end (maybe a bit too much actually, output meter is completely flat all the time :)).

For the drums I actually put some room reverb at the drum buss, also both a compressor and a limiter. Quite alot of hall reverb on the kick and plate on the snare. Could go in to detail but there are so many plugins everywhere and when I look back at it, I'm not even sure why I put them there :)