In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Altaria - The Fallen Empire
Metal Heaven - 00017 - Mar. 24, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
Altaria.jpg

This Finnish four-piece, presumably named after a Pokemon character, have chosen a style of typical power metal. It’s catchy, it’s melodic, and the singer sings high, but they sound so much like other bands from their home country. Of course, when one emulates a band like Stratovarius so closely, the songs replicate each other to the point where after six songs you just want something new and know you will not get it. Now, I’m a mild fan of Stratovarius so I don’t dislike Altaria. I just wish they had more to offer.

There are two songs on The Fallen Empire that pop out among this basic collection. "Valley of Rainbows" is incredibly cheesy - that title says it all – but as one who has a soft spot for cheese metal, the catchiness of this chorus succeeds in grabbing me immediately. "Crucifix" is another in that same vein. It has the almost choir-like chorus, and the main guitar melody follows so close to any Sonata Arctica song. Sonata’s guitarist Jani Liimatainen who, interestingly enough was Altaria’s guitarist before this album was recorded may as well have played the solos on these songs, the similarity is that strong.

Well-established Finnish metal bands should be honored that they have so powerfully influenced another band. However, influences should not be taken advantage of so blatantly; they should be a launch pad for something unique. Altaria did do one thing good for me: they made me want to go back and listen to some of those classic Stratovarius songs that have been forgotten.

6/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Altaria Official Website
Metal Heaven Official Website