Alternative Almost pop punk mix!

Nov 6, 2006
Taylor, MI
My first mix for this style of music
Vocals are baked with auto tune. Not graph tuned yet. nothing quantized.
just finished tracking vocals and threw this together.
Band is Aria Aesthetic.

Really digging the song, vocal harmonies are excellent! There's some noise between lines I'm not digging to heavily, or maybe I'm hearing things. I want to hear some vocal harmonies on the first verse, but that's a production issue.

Mixwise, drums are a bit too metal for my tastes... I want to hear a bigger, more roomy snare, and way less click on the kick. Maybe raise the OH's or automate hits in spots... sometimes too loud, sometimes too quiet.

Vocals come in too loud on the chorus reprise in the interlude... automation is needed for sure! The vocal verb separates them a bit from the mix for my tastes, maybe try less mix or more of a bright plate than the dark one you've got?

Not bad by any means man, definitely on the right track!

The drums need to be a bit bigger and punchier. The guitars are a bit too gainy..I feel especially in the beginning the guitars need more low end and warmth and less gain (more crunch) too match his vocals and the bass.
But other than that this is very very good. Great vocals and harmonies.
Can you give some info on the vocals,the chain and the processing.

cool song...I wish I had to mix that band instead of the one I'm working on atm ;).
cool singer!
mix sound slike a metal mix though. everything needs to be a bit rounder and warmer imo

Definately need a roomier snare. Those vocals in the chorus sound huge, but the drums just sound sorta... Bored? Not boring, BORED. Like they're bored of themselves so they're all lethargic or subdued or SOMETHING.

Really digging the song, vocal harmonies are excellent! There's some noise between lines I'm not digging to heavily, or maybe I'm hearing things. I want to hear some vocal harmonies on the first verse, but that's a production issue.

Mixwise, drums are a bit too metal for my tastes... I want to hear a bigger, more roomy snare, and way less click on the kick. Maybe raise the OH's or automate hits in spots... sometimes too loud, sometimes too quiet.

Vocals come in too loud on the chorus reprise in the interlude... automation is needed for sure! The vocal verb separates them a bit from the mix for my tastes, maybe try less mix or more of a bright plate than the dark one you've got?

Not bad by any means man, definitely on the right track!

I agree about the automation on the vocals. I havent edited vocals yet and i usually normalize in the editing process. The snare is the nir z custom from superior 2.0. I have 5 db of 200hz on top. wide scoop around 800-1000 and
a boost at 7000. Anyone have any tips on making this snare bigger

The drums need to be a bit bigger and punchier. The guitars are a bit too gainy..I feel especially in the beginning the guitars need more low end and warmth and less gain (more crunch) too match his vocals and the bass.
But other than that this is very very good. Great vocals and harmonies.
Can you give some info on the vocals,the chain and the processing.

Vocals are through an at2035 every track hipassed at 125 slight wide scoop at 1500. Harmonies and doubles mixed -6 db from the main takes. De esser on the group. Heavy group compression on the vocal group as well as slight reverb.

I think the mix is pretty good man. I don't mind the metal drum tones, it's pretty common for bands like this to have production this way (ex. A Day To Remember). Overheads get lost sometimes, vocals sound great, and will sound even better after they're edited/automated.