Alternative to JustStrings.com? Where do you guys buy custom gauge strings?

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
I've been buying the bulk sets for custom gauges from these guys for years but am finally fed up with how Jim Clark runs his online inventory; they have zero indication on the website as to whether or not an item is in stock, so if you order 6 strings and 1 gauge is out of stock, they send you 5 with zero notification until you receive the package that one of the gauges is out of stock. When I asked how I can avoid that in the future, he told me I needed to e-mail him to ask about stock before placing an order. AKA a terrible customer experience and ecommerce implementation.

What I'm looking for is a place where I can order single gauges of non-shitty strings (D'Addario, Ernie Ball, DR, etc) at a rate below $5/set. JustStrings bulk are unlabeled D'addarios, so if those could be sourced through someone besides JS that would be ideal.

http://kaliumstrings.com/home.html

ordered some sets (7string bass, and guitar sets for standard-E + drop-C) to europe, when they were still called Circle K.
yup, it actually was cheaper than buying strings anywhere else here in germany.

best thing: every single set lasted at least 18 months, with good sound and perfect (!) intonation til the very end. hell, not a single string broke, i only changed them for tuning reasons.
wonder if i´ll ever find that being true for another brand of strings, doesn´t seem like it yet

I am going to throw out there Curt Mangan strings... curtmangan.com. A little pricey but I think it is worth it. He does custom gauges in packs of 6 online. If you E-mail them or call them, they are a small company so they can make what you need.

Now if I can just get him to make some .166 bass sets!