American Head Charge Guitarist found DEAD

Agreed, I'm not a fan myself, so I'm definately not trying to 'romanticize' anything. People are making this way too complicated. If it's a 'music forum' and someone's not a fan, how about either not commenting negatively on his death at all, or just something like "What a waste. I wasn't a fan, but it's sad to see anyone do something so stupid to cost themself their life"...

You get the idea....

metal71 said:
Agreed, I'm not a fan myself, so I'm definately not trying to 'romanticize' anything. People are making this way too complicated. If it's a 'music forum' and someone's not a fan, how about either not commenting negatively on his death at all, or just something like "What a waste. I wasn't a fan, but it's sad to see anyone do something so stupid to cost themself their life"...

You get the idea....

hear, hear...after i read the original post, all i could think was that the poster was an awfully nasty person to speak so ill of a stranger's death.

Regardless if you liked the music or not...

Saying something like, "Well the music sucked, so it's not a loss" is a really horrible thing to say. What if someone said that about Dimebag? When Alyaiha (sp?) died, I didn't hear one person say, "Well her music sucked so good thing she's gone." No matter the circumstances, that's downright rude and ignorant.

Granted, I wasn't a fan of the music, but I had been in the same places with Bryan a few times, and chatted with him on the passing a time or two. He was a really cool guy, although the band had been into drugs, Bryan was not.

If you read the band's blogs, you'll see that the two founding memebers have been sober for a good deal of time.

I could see if the guy OD'd on something illegal. Sometimes Doctors don't disclose all possible side effects of medication, and although it wasn't necessarly the smartest thing for him to do.... and I still agree with those who OD on illegal drugs (previous post)... So it wasn't the smartest thing to do to mix perscription drugs and booze, I highly doubt his intention was to pass away. Especially to "kill AHC's music career."

-MetalRose

MetalRose said:
Regardless if you liked the music or not...

Saying something like, "Well the music sucked, so it's not a loss" is a really horrible thing to say. What if someone said that about Dimebag? When Alyaiha (sp?) died, I didn't hear one person say, "Well her music sucked so good thing she's gone." No matter the circumstances, that's downright rude and ignorant.

Well said.

I personally think that if that band ever had any fans (which Im sure they did) then it was a musical loss. It may not have been a musical loss for us that don't appreciate their stuff, but for some people that is one. I'm pretty sure that there were people that are fans of the guy and had him as a musical influence (whether he sucked or not). Bottom line is, it's sad to see a musician (especially a rock musician) pass away like that. I'm not gonna be an asshole like some who could give a shit about the guy and ignore it. I think any loss within the music world (especially the rock and metal scene) is a sad loss. I am definetly gonna say a prayer to the guy's soul, his bandmates and his fans, even though I didn't like their music.

To answer the person who wondered if some would have the same sentiment if it were a member of a band they liked...Yes, I would feel the same. Two words, Bon Scott. He drank himself to death...nothing illegal about alcohol right. I'm sure he didn't set out to kill himself by alcohol poisoning...doesn't matter. I was a huge AC/DC fan and have never liked the band nearly as much after Bon's death, but if you're going to drink that much...death is a very real possibility and he was a complete jackass for doing so. I will not say what a tragedy it was becuase it was stupid and avoidable.

Legal(prescribed) or illegal, drugs abuse is drug abuse...simple. I don't care what people do to themselves, just don't bring that shit around me, but I will not make a hero or martyr out of someone who dies as a result of their own stupidity and weakness.

whisper, excuse me, but how the fuck was layne staley a drain on your little "straight-edge" society? he brought joy to a million people through his music. what the fuck have you done? go to work everyday, then come home and watch fucking tv? you're not benefitting me in a any goddamn way. you're just 1 in 100 million. he had unlimited money for his drugs he had from his former JOB of playing music. he stayed in his apartment 99% of the time. now how the fuck is that a drain on society? because he had friends go pick up drugs for him? next time you go tell your buddy to go pick up some beer, i guess you're being a fucking drain on society too. that store's getting money in place of you getting wasted. same with a drug-dealer, only that money doesn't go to the government so they can throw it down the toilet on some dumbocrat/GOP national convention, or spend billions of our fucking dollars on a drug war they'll never win. it's a two-way street. i have an opinion/point of view too. and judging by your opinion, i think you're a fucking idiot

If he od'd, good riddance to bad rubbish.

If not, sorry for the loss to whoever gives a damn.

Having worked in Drug and Alcohol education/treatment for a number of years, I have no sympathy either. Billions and billions of dollars have been put into education on this matter and yet there are those who don't want to listen. And the education isn't always a matter of going "straight edge", many times it's a process that makes a person aware of potential risks. Upon hearing/knowing those risks, the person then makes a choice: they can use and entertain those risks or they can not use and avoid that particular set or risks in their life. I think it appears to many, myself included, that entertaining risks over something as ridiculous and unnecessary as drug use/abuse is just an unnecessary, unproductive waste of time. When an overdose occurs I think it's easy to say "tough shit" because it's such a fucking waste of life to get into that scene. There's no positive end product from the direct use/abuse of substances. It's not like those dangers we entertain when we travel, play sports, etc. The end result, at best, is a numbing of the person. It's unproductive activity and that merits a "who cares" response from those who think people should aspire to more. It's like bungee-jumping. If the rope broke and he cracked his skull, tough shit there too. Many things carrie an inherent risk but we need those things to survive as a society. Drug abuse certainly falls into the category of "useless behavior".

As for the idea that "if it was XXXX band member you'd be singing a different song...Ingo Schwiktenberg of Helloween jumped in front of a train over his abuse. I was sad at the loss of good drummer from a band I liked but, again, I have to say that "that's what you get" for all of your drug using. I don't like it, but it's a common enough result that it can almost be expected at this point.

Bullshit!! You won't find a bigger Helloween fan than me anywhere, PERIOD. Ingo suffered from schizophrenia. You can't possibly hold him to the same standard as an otherwise healthy person who willfully decides to use dangerous drugs.

AS FOR THE TOPIC, AGAIN..... No one here is romanticizing/coddling/excusing/rationalizing, or any other such term, the fact that this dude did something stupid. I'm just requesting a little human decency here. If you want to say the drug use was stupid and risky, you'll get no argument from me whatsoever. I've always been opposed to those behaviors. **HOWEVER**, to preach like the world is somehow a better place because a young man died is rediculous. Lastly, I call BULLSHIT to anyone here who says they would have the same harsh judgment if it were their som, daughter, or best friend who did the same thing. Absolute BULLSHIT. You're all so hard on you're stance now, but when tragedy knocks on your own front door, we'll see if you don't feel just a little bit differently than "Fuck him, he's a junkie, he had it coming!". Whatever.

Well, my dad is a Crystal Meth addict and probably dead(havent heard from him in years). To quote, "Fuck him, he's a junkie, he had it coming!"