Amon Amarth Live in Denver (pics)

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Small pics so people with slow connections can see them. The only video I took turned out like crap because I was about 4 inches from the subs.

Amon_Amarth_8_.JPG

Amon_Amarth_3_.JPG

Amon_Amarth.JPG

Amon_Amarth_8_.JPG

Amon_Amarth_14_.JPG

Amon_Amarth_22_.JPG

Amon_Amarth_24_.JPG

Amon_Amarth_26_.JPG

Amon_Amarth_27_.JPG

Amon_Amarth_28_.JPG

Josh (Opeth17) doing interview. Note Gojira's fruits and vege's (they're vegan, if you didn't know).
Amon_Amarth_32_.JPG

Amon_Amarth_33_.JPG

Amon_Amarth_35_.JPG

Josh, Nathan, some hairy dude, Josh #2
Amon_Amarth_36_.JPG

Yes, I'm wearing an Ultimate Metal shirt. The old owner (Mark) gave it to me a long, long time ago. I thought about wearing my Watchmaker shirt, but then I thought I should wear the UM one just in case I needed to REPRESENT.

Metal. Amon Amarth puts on a hell of a fucking show live. They played material exclusively from Vs. the World forward, but their new stuff translates very well to the live environment and it :kickass: . They opened with the first two from the new one and got the crowd going early. They're great sing along songs and we were all shouting the lyrics along. Especially "Runes to my Memory" totally kicked my ass, I couldn't even handle the awesomeness. I watched those two songs from stage level, then felt the need to go mingle down in the pit and watched the rest of the show from in front of the stage. This is pretty much what the setlist looked like in Denver, but pending time and considering that NYC is huge, you might get Thousand Years of Oppression too.

(Intro)
Valhall Awaits Me
Runes To My Memory
Death In Fire
Fate Of Norns
Asator
(Cry Intro)
Cry Of The Blackbirds
An Ancient Sign Of Coming Storm
The Pursuit Of Vikings

Asator really became one of my favorites after the show, such a great groove and it killed live. Everything sounded good, but Pursuit of Vikings was another highlight as they let us sing the last part of the song.:kickass: Johan gets the crowd involved pretty well, drinking mead on stage.:lol:

After the show we went backstage. That room the interview was in was TINY, but I suppose they don't spend much time in there anyway. We were all fucking exhausted after the show so we kept the interview somewhat concise:lol: , but Olavi answered my questions pretty well and I should have it up on the site in a couple days. Had a cool little chat with Olavi and he said that the band was only able to quit their "real world" jobs this past year. They've been around a long time and are pretty popular so that was a little surprising, but cool that they can start to live off they're music a little more. I got all my booklets signed by everyone except Soderberg, who was strangely missing for the entire time period after the show. They have a lot of nice merchandise as well, picked up the "With Oden on Our Side" shirt, posed for some pictures and then went off to fetch my other friend. Nate took off (good idea), but we watched a couple COB songs before deciding that it was really gay and we then proceeded to leave to go eat at our normal after show sub sammitch place and had the best sub evAr.:worship:

Looking forward to reports from the NYC show now. Have fun!

i am not a huge AA fan but they stole the show by far ... Gojira got the kids pumped up ... and AA ran off with them

COB can sucha a big fat dicls ..

RC is back bitches ... pics and videsoa dan some celebs tmormoroorw, ... Gugs is with soem skinny hot bint still at 3am ....

Especially "Runes to my Memory" totally kicked my ass, I couldn't even handle the awesomeness.

This is probably my favourite song of the new album and I can only imagine how fucking cool it would sound live.

I finally saw (been wanting to for ages) these guys Saturday night. What a gig! One of the most enjoyable gigs I have been to. It was in a really small (but sold out) venue too which made it even better. Played a bunch of songs off the newest and then 1 or 2 songs off each of the other 5 full-length albums.

Had a cool little chat with Olavi and he said that the band was only able to quit their "real world" jobs this past year. They've been around a long time and are pretty popular so that was a little surprising, but cool that they can start to live off they're music a little more.

Its an old quote, but I don't remember seeing it then. I think this is cool, because I remember reading an interview ages back with Johann, and he said he felt like shit because he had to mooch off his girlfriend a lot.

haha. Great live band, decent enough on CD. But way better live. I just wish they wouldn't tour with Children of Boredom so much.

There's no doubt Amon Amarth live >>>>> Amon Amarth on CD

The songs from Fate of Norns even sound good live.

It was a good gig. I like Iriving Plaza venue too, I wish more bands would play there than, say, BB Kings. Union Square is miles better than Times Square for hanging out. Nothing new in the setlist, all very solid material. Just wish they could include "Gods of War Arise" and "Burning Creation" and it would be perfect.