Amon Amarth

LATEMREWOP

Latem le late el metal
Mar 25, 2005
New York
Hi dudes!

just a simple question, what is your general idea about Amon Amarth? I think these Vikings totally kick ass. My favorite album, Once Sent From the Golden Hall. My second best, The Crusher.

Hope to hear your opinion. :cool:

Im a big fan, too :) I like the older stuff better as well, even though Versus the World totally rocks as well.. Fate of Norns is a bit boring though.

shaq said:
I love these guys, they put on a great live show too. Hopefully they'll come back to the states again.

I hope they come to the States soon. I can't wait to see them live. By the way, are you attending tomorrow's DT concert at BB King's? I will be there shaking my head until it fucking falls off. :cool:

Taliesin said:
Im a big fan, too :) I like the older stuff better as well, even though Versus the World totally rocks as well.. Fate of Norns is a bit boring though.

Yeah, their old stuff kicks arse, but the cool thing is that they continue to be faithful to real melodic death, not like some sellouts (damn do I hate IF and SW now).

Yeah, after the commercial success of Versus the World I was pretty worried about their next steps. Im glad they kept doing their thing and didnt take a turn towards the masses

Im not much interested into them
they have some good songs like death in fire(the solo !!!!thats great) and are a good live band
but these viking-attitude and lyrics are boring.and most songs are midtempo and not really extraordinary.DT is much much better
if I like to hear viking-metal I check out some old borknagar or enslaved records
nice band among others
sorry folks Im no real fan of them

Amon Amarth is a typical example of a band with an extremely tremendous start, which was then followed by more or less the same stuff over and over. Imo, of course. I LOVE Once Sent..., this record kicks ass even after those years and sends shivers up my spine everytime I listen to it. But the rest, well..., sometimes remaining "faithful to real melodic death" isnt the best thing imo.

As you know Im a big fan of DT as well.. and Im listening to them for totally different reasons. Of course, Amon Amarth's songwriting isnt as complex as DT's, just as their solos arent as elaborated as DT's
It's a matter of taste after all.. but it's weird you expect AA to beat DT in their own house.. I mean who could? ;)
But then again, DT doesnt beat AA in theirs, so..

LATEMREWOP said:
I hope they come to the States soon. I can't wait to see them live. By the way, are you attending tomorrow's DT concert at BB King's? I will be there shaking my head until it fucking falls off. :cool:

You and me both, man. I'm so psyched for tomorrows show. If you see a tall guy with short hair and probably an Opeth tshirt, then its probably me, feel free to say hello.

shaq said:
You and me both, man. I'm so psyched for tomorrows show. If you see a tall guy with short hair and probably an Opeth tshirt, then its probably me, feel free to say hello.

Cool dude, hope to see you there. Are you into Progressive as well? I don't like it much but respect and admire the complexity of the genre.

solefald said:
Im not much interested into them
they have some good songs like death in fire(the solo !!!!thats great) and are a good live band
but these viking-attitude and lyrics are boring.and most songs are midtempo and not really extraordinary.DT is much much better
if I like to hear viking-metal I check out some old borknagar or enslaved records
nice band among others
sorry folks Im no real fan of them

Hey, that's totally cool. Yeah, It's a matter of taste. I never compared them to DT though. Are you into Power? Check out Sacrifice - Seventh One.

LATEMREWOP said:
Hey, that's totally cool. Yeah, It's a matter of taste. I never compared them to DT though. Are you into Power? Check out Sacrifice - Seventh One.

hm Im not into power perhaps just powerbar :D
I did not tried to compare DT with AA
its just Im no fan of AA
and I like DT more than AA because their music sounds more interesting to me. (and they dont sing about drunken vikins)they are just drunken scandinavians :headbang: among other reasons

AA are a good band but I have no problem to say I dont like or love them.
If I would hear all good bands I had to like robin wiliams, elton john or britney spears and so on just because there people actually say they are"good"(noone here)
and I did not compare AA with elton john :worship: I swear!!!! :Spin:
AA are good but I just dont listen to them

LATEMREWOP said:
Cool dude, hope to see you there. Are you into Progressive as well? I don't like it much but respect and admire the complexity of the genre.

I listen to a huge spectrum of stuff. Basically every subgenre of metal like power, thrash, progressive, melodic, death, etc....and then classic rock, stuff like that...my collection is pretty diverse :loco:

I think they are fucking awesome. If you say they don't have complex guitar riffs, listen closer. Most of their guitar riffs are complements of the other guitar, meaning guitar 1 and guitar 2 do not play any of the same riffs most of the time. You can't compare AA and DT... two completely different styles/genres. Both bands kick ass, however As I lay dying does not... :D

Great band!!

Once sent... is awesome!
Avenger is pretty good too!
The Crusher ... this one didnt make it for me and i lost interest there...
Versus The World ... Wooo! This albums rocks!! Almost as good as Once sent...
Fate of norns ... Great stuff! But not as good as Vs the world... still a great album!

I wish i'll be able soon to see them live for the first time!

Evil_Invader said:
I think they are fucking awesome. If you say they don't have complex guitar riffs, listen closer. Most of their guitar riffs are complements of the other guitar, meaning guitar 1 and guitar 2 do not play any of the same riffs most of the time. You can't compare AA and DT... two completely different styles/genres. Both bands kick ass, however As I lay dying does not... :D

Completely different?

I think thats taking it a bit far, what with them both being Melodic Death Metal. Both are similar in that the main vocal style is a deep growl, that almost verges on a shout, melodic but heavy guitars that come together in twin melodies... They're very similar in my book, and both very good.