AMORPHIS - Under The Red Cloud

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
AMORPHIS - UNDER THE RED CLOUD ALBUM DUE IN SEPTEMBER; ARTWORK, TRACKLISTING REVEALED

Finnish masters of melancholic metal, Amorphis, have announced the release of their new upcoming album, Under The Red Cloud. The worldwide release is scheduled for September 4th via Nuclear Blast.

“The album is titled Under The Red Cloud and the artwork is done by Valnoir Mortasonge,“ guitarist Esa Holopainen states. “Valnoir is well known from his works for Laibach, Paradise Lost, Watain, Behemoth and many more. It was a great pleasure to work with him as he caught the lyrical topics really well. Colors and details describe the music perfectly.“

amorphisalbum.jpg

Pre-order your copy of Amorphis‘ new masterpiece at this location.

Esa comments: “Under The Red Cloud is produced by Jens Bogren who did amazing job with the album. There's a lot's of elements in the songs but every note and element is in perfect harmony so that the result is f*cking heavy and melodic. All I can say is that Under The Red Cloud will be in my personal Top 3 Amorphis albums that we've ever done.“

AMORPHIS PREMIER “DEATH OF A KING” LYRIC VIDEO; DIGITAL SINGLE OUT NOW

feat. Chrigel Glanzmann (Eluveitie, flute) and Martin Lopez (ex-Opeth, percussion)

Guitarist and founding member Esa Holopainen comments: “It was a great honor to have such talented musicians appearing on “Death Of A King”. Each one of them puts his personality and character in the very right spot“.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gotten on a kick the last couple of years of returning to older bands that I grew up on. I'm getting old and nostalgic I guess, but also not finding many newer bands I really like. But Opeth and Amorphis, new compared to my formative years of the 80s, are of the 'newer' breed that are never out of my playlist. Both bands, for me, have grown and changed in a way that sort of mirrors the changes in my own tastes. Blind buy for Amorphis. (guess it's not blind since I just heard a new song. Oh well, you get the gist of it.)

AMORPHIS - UNDER THE RED CLOUD MAKING-OF VIDEO PART 3

The third making-of episode examines the vocal recordings for the new album. Watch below:

The second making-of trailer gives insight into their studio work, especially the drum recordings:

AMORPHIS - UNDER THE RED CLOUD MAKING-OF VIDEO PART 5

The fifth making-of episode gives insight about recordings in Sweden, the chosen equipment and the work with producer Jens Bogren. Furthermore, keyboard player Santeri Kallio explains the use of church organs to create a massive wall of sound. “In a couple of songs you will hear this nice piece of history”, he adds.

Part 4 gives insight into the tracking of the guitars with Esa Holopainen and Tomi Koivusaari, as well as the bass with Niclas Etelävuori:

Every time I hear a tiny little sound clip from this album, making of, whatever, it just sounds so good. I can't wait to hear the whole album.

AMORPHIS RELEASE “SACRIFICE” SINGLE, VIDEO

Guitar player Esa Holopainen commented:“'Sacrifice' is the second release from Under The Red Cloud and it presents a bit more familiar Amorphis with catchy choruses and melodic touch. The video for 'Sacrifice' was shot in Helsinki and Hämeenlinna and follows the lyrical themes of the song. Like 'Death Of A King', 'Sacrifice' was pretty much Jens' decision as a single track. The band finds it too difficult to pick up any single tracks. Haha!“

Love the new tune, cannot wait to hear this disc.

This band can do no wrong.

Funny you say that..... I've been listening to a lot of old Amorphis lately, and I pulled out "Far from the Sun" as I couldn't remember that disc AT ALL.

Well, they did wrong here.

This disc STINKS.

In my head, this was the first disc with Tomi on vocals, and the return to the heavier sound. Wrong. This was simply the pure watered down version of "Tuonela" and "Universum" (both of which I love). There is maybe ONE memorable song on here.....

I think Far From the Sun is a misguided album, for sure, and probably the band's biggest misstep. What is good, is that it represents them as a band that doesn't shy from switching things up a bit. Sometimes that lands you in territory you didn't think you'd be in. If you compare Far From the Sun and Karelian Isthmus, it's almost like two different bands are making music.