amp repair problem

Calippo Tecks

Feb 6, 2005
Belgium
I have a Krank krankenstein prototype that I bought a few years ago from ex Fear Factory guitarist Olde Wolbers.

There's always been something wrong with it and I really want to get it fixed. Before bringing it to the local repair shops I would like to see if someone has an idea about what's wrong with it, so here's the problem:

The EQ pot's and presence control have a very high value. It's like when you put the bass on 2, it sounds as if you put it on 10 on a normal amp, same for mids, high and presence. They actually even add gain to those frequencies, because the values get so high. The gain pot is one of the few things that works like it should. Another thing that happens is when I turn the volume up, it colors the sound even more, it get's more bassy and the EQ settings don't make any sense anymore. I've found out that the pots are the same as the krankenstein amps they sold, so I don't think that's the problem. It's more like the overall circuit is overpowered? I also reduced bias, but this doesn't help. Any idea's/advice would be highly appreciated!

Another way to describe the volume problem:

It's the same as running most amps on really low volume, then they usually sound brighter, but once you put it on '2' it sounds warmer/fuller.
The only problem is, it sounds extremely warmer/fuller/bassier the more you turn up the volume on the amp.

Sounds like most tube amps to me, if the volume is barely being pushed it tends to be a thinner tone. You don't start getting real weight until you push it to a decent level.

If you think there is an issue, take it to a tech. Describing a problem with an amp on a forum is really difficult I find. No matter how you describe the problem, it'll never come across in the way you want it to.

Have you tried e-mailing Krank directly?

I've always thought my Krank was pretty extreme, and that the sweet spots for the knobs are really really narrow, but mine's just the Rev Jr. Most people I talked to when I first got my Rev Jr. seemed to agree that with the Sweep control set very low or very high, you did have to go pretty extreme on the knobs, but I always wondered looking at Andy's settings on his Revolution how he got it to sound the way he does.

Does your Krankenstein have an FX loop boost as well?

The part on your vid where you turn the presence up, and the tone becomes pretty much just treble is pretty insane, though.

They must have given a ton of those things away; We bought ours from Paradise Lost. I don't know whether your amp has an issue or not but I always found that amp to have insanely interactive controls. For example if you turned the volume up one notch you had to completely re-eq it. It was a cool head but for live it was a pain in the ass because even a small adjustment was like crl+alt+del.

They must have given a ton of those things away; We bought ours from Paradise Lost. I don't know whether your amp has an issue or not but I always found that amp to have insanely interactive controls. For example if you turned the volume up one notch you had to completely re-eq it. It was a cool head but for live it was a pain in the ass because even a small adjustment was like crl+alt+del.

That's exactly one of the issues that I have with this amp!

Have you tried e-mailing Krank directly?

I've always thought my Krank was pretty extreme, and that the sweet spots for the knobs are really really narrow, but mine's just the Rev Jr. Most people I talked to when I first got my Rev Jr. seemed to agree that with the Sweep control set very low or very high, you did have to go pretty extreme on the knobs, but I always wondered looking at Andy's settings on his Revolution how he got it to sound the way he does.

Does your Krankenstein have an FX loop boost as well?

The part on your vid where you turn the presence up, and the tone becomes pretty much just treble is pretty insane, though.

Yes it has an FX loop boost too, on the back.
I've been in contact with Tony from Krank and he thinks it might be a broken pot. I'm gonna check all my pots and if that doesn't show any issues, I'll take it to a technician.