Amp sims clashing?

Sitbh

New Metal Member
Sep 10, 2007
Hi guys,

Had my first proper crack with guitar amp sims today. Put my guitar (Schecter C-1 plus) into a Behringer pre-amp (does the job!) and into my soundcard. I had two tracks set up (one with SoloC, the other with one of Nick Crow's sims). Both tracks were being routed to a stereo group track with SIR loaded (catharsis impulse).

Now, if i solo'd one track, it sounded great on it's own. But if i had them both monitored, they sounded pretty crap. Some really harsh high-end it seemed.. and just a crap sound.. not what you'd expect from the blended tones. If i recorded something and then played it back, it was still doing the same rubbish (so it's not recording latency that could be causing some issues).

Anyone got any tips for blending amp sims? I tried 2x SoloC (L and R) and 1x nick crow in the center and it sounded even worse. I tried fiddling with the gain and tones, to no avail. If anyone has come across this and possibly has any remedies i'd greatly appreciate it!

read this and you will have no problems

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250&highlight=dreampin

start using the search bar alot. You will find just about every question and answer you need to know just by searching for it. Learn how to EQ and mix. Get better gear and an audio interface. It will sound like absolute shit going into your sound card. Alot of veterans on this forum will not answer questions like these because alot of them are professionals and hate reading posts like yours because all the answers can be found within 2 minutes of searching. Come back 2 months from now and you will be 10 times better. I guarantee it

you need a seperate instance of impulses for each ampsim, not both sims into the same instance.
Wrong, I use one single SIR instance on a stereo track without any issue.
Convolution is linear and is going to work at whatever panning of the guitar tracks too. It is just like putting an eq on a stereo track.

The OP problem sounds more like a phase issue... did you play and record the guitar track 2 times or just copy/paste a single track?

"It is just like putting an eq on a stereo track."

no, it's like blending two different preamps into a single poweramp and cab at once, miced at the same time.

no, it's like blending two different preamps into a single poweramp and cab at once, miced at the same time.
Yeah, but since the IR only has the frequency response of power-amp, cab, mic and mic preamp, it's just (complex) EQ and the stereo image is 100% preserved.
As long as you double track and use separate amp sims on both tracks, using convolution on the single tracks or on the stereo bus is not going to make any difference.

Different thing if you use a plugin that models non-linearities, in that case it would work correctly on the stereo bus only if the preamp tracks are panned 100% L and R.

"It is just like putting an eq on a stereo track."

It`s not like putting two preamps into single poweramp and cab.
As mentioned before, convolution is linear process mathematically, you can put even more than two preamp signals, if the same impulse is using for all of them.
In reality convolution works as some kind of EQ, but with very large amount of bands.

all i can say is that i've never had any success with putting just one impulse on a stereo group. i had the same issues as the OP.
once i put them right after the amp sims, the problems disappeared.

Maybe you were using a convolution plugin that didn't support full stereo processing... just a guess...
It works with SIR.

The same issue occurs when 2 instances of SIR are placed one each track (immediately after the amp sim) so it's not the convolution that is causing the problem. It also occurs with LeCab even when playing with the phase.

I'm using an M-audio audiophile192 as my soundcard, which i just adjusted for 'recording latency' and the issue has gone :lol: so i guess it was a latency issue after all!

Different amp simulators, sometimes have different phases. Even the same amp simulator can have different phase using several preamp settings.
Try blending two lepou simulators instead of lepou + nick crow.
Also, as says Fragle, I would try to use a separate instance of impulses for each ampsim, not both sims into the same instance.
If it don't works, buy a Marshall MG10CD and a cheap dynamic mic. It will sound better.