Amp Slaving questions

musickey

djenital moosic
Feb 17, 2006
INDIANA
Getting ready to start a new project, and i remember a few posts talking about slaving amps which interested me. I want to give this technique a try, but im afraid i might burn an amp up. Did find a post from crillemannen, that explains it a bit.

First take one amp. Use FX Send on the master amp to FX return on the slaved amp. Then you have 2 sounds, the master amp is feeding its sound through the power amp of the slaved amp, which will alter the sound. And of course you need 2 different cabs so that will also alter the sound of the original amp.

The trick is to get 2 sounds that compliment each other. One sound can be a little bit brighter, the other one a bit duller, and maybe one is thicker and the other a bit thinner, you get the idea :) the thing is to have the 2 sounds in mind when setting the tone, which will lead to an awesome tone in the end. I usually have one guitar about 5-10db louder in mix. The one that is a bit lower i usually pan 80. So it is Master amp 100 L/R , Slaved amp 80/80.

The tone gets much thicker and wider if you are good at this technique which i learned at Studio Fredman when i was an intern over there. I'll see if i can remember to bring some samples tomorrow from the studio.

Guess my question is, Regardless of amp that im using am i safe if i run the FX send from amp A to the return on amp B? Even if amp A has a slave out? what are the differences?

I think it also depends on whether you have a series or parallel effects loop, using the slave out into the poweramp in or fx return of the slave amp will do the same thing, the slave usually has a dedicated volume control for it as well - Usually the fx send and slave out will both be the preamp signals, unless you have a tube buffer which might colour your sound. Just make sure both amps are plugged into a cab or suitable loadbox.