Amplifier problem - how to diagnose?

Omega_Void

Your Eventual Destroyer
May 15, 2004
UK
I'm too skint to take this to the local repair shop, so if anyone can suggest the source of this problem I'd be right grateful!

The amp is a solid-state PA amp, I'm currently using it as the power stage in my guitar setup.

Symptoms:

Treble is there, but bugger all else! I've confirmed the signal from the preamp is fine, so it's either the power amp or the speaker.

There's no unusual humming or buzzing noises.

Used it for hours one day, it was fine. Switched it on the next it was fucked. Next time I switched it on the sound was fine for about half a second before all the mids and lows just fell away again. This kinda suggests the speaker will produce the right sound when fed the right signal, so I'm assuming the amp is at fault. (I don't actually have a second speaker or second amp to compare, goddamnit!)

Both channels on the amp are doing it. The power supply is the only common element so I'm guessing that's where the problem lies.

Transformer? Rectifier diodes? Capacitors? Which failure would likely cause a major loss of low response? How can I test?

If you can shed any light please post!
Thanks.