Amplifier Problems

Frank'nfurter said:
smells like ammonium chloride

Hahaha, yeah right :) It reminds me of so many movies where the hero sees a white powder, puts some on his finger, tastes it and says with a dark look "This is cocaine"... Of course, everybody knows the taste of cocaine right ? :loco:

Sorry to interrupt, please go on :Spin:

Andy Sneap said:
actually, tranny amps can handle impedence difference a little better, so I've always been led to beleive(forgetting to plug cab in etc). If theres smoke, I'll bet money on the output transformer, especially if its a grey/blue with a real nasty plastic type smell.

I'd say andy is pretty much on the ball here, when the output goes it can be very messy, which this sounds to have been.

Hey Liam, I apologise for the mistake that I made. Yes it's a Bassman 135 that I am using and from what I see, there is not much difference in the appearance of the amp (just took a quick glance at the Bassman 100 on Ebay). The Bassman 135 works like a beast for me and I have not played an amp with such raw, chuncky tone along with its awesome bottom end. Maybe it's due to the fact that the Bassman is a bass amp. The Treble knob seem to increase the level of the amp and in fact the EQ knobs are very sensitive. I could hear the tonal differences very well whenever I make some adjustments on the EQ.
Have not tried Mesas mor the 5150 (unfortunately in my country, these 2 amps are very rare), so I could be wrong on some things. Been playing with the Peavey Triple XXX and I liked it's modern and fuzzy sounding tone too.

Seeing as the my Marshall 9000 power amp hasn't turned up yet (four days overdue!!!) from an Ebayer I 've been having to use things like Valvestate 100R combos, a JCM 900 head and a Mode 4 head and none of them come close to my old Bassman 100. I just hope this Marshall can give me the warmth and smoothness my Fender used to give, until I can afford to get the Bassman looked at, whether the damage is so bad that it will cost more than a new amp to fix I don't know.

GodslasheR said:
Hey Liam, I apologise for the mistake that I made. Yes it's a Bassman 135 that I am using and from what I see, there is not much difference in the appearance of the amp (just took a quick glance at the Bassman 100 on Ebay). The Bassman 135 works like a beast for me and I have not played an amp with such raw, chuncky tone along with its awesome bottom end. Maybe it's due to the fact that the Bassman is a bass amp. The Treble knob seem to increase the level of the amp and in fact the EQ knobs are very sensitive. I could hear the tonal differences very well whenever I make some adjustments on the EQ.
Have not tried Mesas mor the 5150 (unfortunately in my country, these 2 amps are very rare), so I could be wrong on some things. Been playing with the Peavey Triple XXX and I liked it's modern and fuzzy sounding tone too.

Don't know what ammonium chloride smells like, is it anything like the inside of brand new new electronical equipment or PCB's combined with a burning smells, only much stronger than new equipment? Sorry for the vague and bizzare explanation :)

I couldn't really say what colour the smoke was at the gig as it was too dark and when I replaced the fuses and turned it on in the house when it really exploded I was to busy dodging the sparks :tickled:

Frank'nfurter said:
Tube Amps allways have two transformers. One power supply and one output transformer.
A yeah, if the smoke is white and smells like ammonium chloride then it was a Condenser.

Liam Thompson said:
Don't know what ammonium chloride smells like, is it anything like the inside of brand new new electronical equipment or PCB's combined with a burning smells, only much stronger than new equipment? Sorry for the vague and bizzare explanation :)

I couldn't really say what colour the smoke was at the gig as it was too dark and when I replaced the fuses and turned it on in the house when it really exploded I was to busy dodging the sparks :tickled:

It really does sound like a transformer has blown on you, get a tech to look at i for you. If it costs too much to fix, e-mail [member = Steve_Ignorant] 'cos he might be interested in taking it off you hands.

No its just an old 9000 series (50 + 50), a black one. Have I made a mistake getting this? Will this do?

8f_1_b.JPG

Then again assuming it ever turns up! still waiting, 5 days late now.

Razorjack said:
I assume the 9000 series power amp you have bought is the 9005 (50w + 50w), if it is then it will sound great but probably not as good as your Bassman.

Liam Thompson said:
No its just an old 9000 series (50 + 50), a black one. Have I made a mistake getting this? Will this do?

Then again assuming it ever turns up! still waiting, 5 days late now.

Thats the power amp I am talking about, it is a 9005 but for some reason Marshall never saw fit to actually label it that way!!

You've not made a mistake buying it at all, I love mine as long as you can run it in stereo you'll be fine (the half power switches help allot too, but keeping it on full power and cranking to about 3 o'clock gives some beautiful power amp distortion).

btw, This power amp is very heavy so that could be a reason it's taking so long to get to you!!

Oh cool, I thought it was one of thoses gold and black amps.

Razorjack said:
Thats the power amp I am talking about, it is a 9005 but for some reason Marshall never saw fit to actually label it that way!!

You've not made a mistake buying it at all, I love mine as long as you can run it in stereo you'll be fine (the half power switches help allot too, but keeping it on full power and cranking to about 3 o'clock gives some beautiful power amp distortion).

btw, This power amp is very heavy so that could be a reason it's taking so long to get to you!!

When you mean running in stereo do you mean two leads out of my POD, one into each channel or two speaker cables from the back into a cab?

I hope so, I paid for Parcelforce 24 next day delivery and the dude says he's sent it out and I still haven't got it!