Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
Season of Mist Records – SOM 140 – October 2006
By Nathan Pearce

anaaleschatoncover.jpg

Anaal Nathrakh could easily be considered one of the most important black metal bands of the last 5 or 6 years. With the release of The Codex Necro they single-handedly put British black metal on the map in a big way. They also proved that pure, unfiltered hatred had a place alongside the haunting, majestic, and mystical sounds so popular in the black metal world at the time. Album number two, Domine Non Es Dignus, showed that Anaal Nathrakh wasn’t content with their ability to simply wipe any pure thoughts from their listeners’ minds. The band proceeded to demonstrate they were expert musicians and song writers, within the framework of their so-called “necro” black metal.

Eschaton can simply be called the next step in this bands amazing evolution. Songs like ‘Between Shit And Piss We Are Born’ and ‘When The Lion Devours Both Dragon And Child’ are truly two of the best, most epic, and most emotional songs of the year. That’s how far this band has come. Eschaton is an album of great songs. Anaal Nathrakh is kind of distancing themselves from all the black metal bands that simply set out to obliterate the listener. Instead Anaal Nathrakh seems to be headed down a very similar path as Emperor took. Both bands started by trying to create pure atmosphere, but both bands evolved into bands interested in creating songs and albums full of great songs.

The musicianship on Eschaton is awesome. Guitar solos absolutely shred all over the place. The drumming and rhythm guitars are tight and brutal. I’m not sure Anaal Nathrakh is necessarily a black metal band anymore, but it doesn’t matter when they create music this good. I’m sure some of the purists will be pissed at how far this band has evolved, but anybody that can recognize awesome metal will truly enjoy this. It’s still way more intense than your average metal album, but I believe this band is destined for great things with their ability to write music like this.

8.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Annal Nathrakh’s Official Website
Season of Mist’s Official Website

By saying that they are destined for great things with their abilities, you are implying that what they do now is not a great thing... mua haa! They may be destined for... greater things... ;) I still haven't heard this yet, I'll probably buy it!

They truly are something worth talking and hearing about. Not to mention listen to, but they are and have always been an new wave black metal band. And british black metal bands has never brought us something to brag about! I mean, there is an differens between gifted people such as Anaal, and truly dedicated black metal bands. Who make their music i pure thoughts of darkness and damnation, and all who really knows black metal can say that norway is the founder of REAL black! Immrtal, Darkthrone etc what can you really say?

They truly are something worth talking and hearing about. Not to mention listen to, but they are and have always been an new wave black metal band. And british black metal bands has never brought us something to brag about! I mean, there is an differens between gifted people such as Anaal, and truly dedicated black metal bands. Who make their music i pure thoughts of darkness and damnation, and all who really knows black metal can say that norway is the founder of REAL black! Immrtal, Darkthrone etc what can you really say?

yes indeed - well said !!!