Analog Based VSTs

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Forgive me if there is already a topic, but I'm getting way into analog gear. I do intend to continue a collection of analog stuff, but in the mean time, what are some sick VST's your guys have been using that very well emulate analog algorithms?

Right now I fucking DIG Sonalksis mk2 comp, URS channel strip, waves SSL stuff, even decapitator does a good job with analog emulation.

Slate's VCC, Sonimus Satson, or Nebula with some Alex B programs are exactly what you're looking for. No other plugs come close to what they do to "analogify" your sound (especially Nebula if you don't mind the hassle of using it).

I've been really digging on Stillwell's Major Tom as a DBX160-style comp on kick/bass lately, can't believe I hadn't used it on either before.

The CLA76 is still the closest thing to hardware, IMO, and the CLA2A and 3A are right up there. SSL Duende are the closest you'll get on that side of things, as well.

The CLA76 is still the closest thing to hardware, IMO, and the CLA2A and 3A are right up there. SSL Duende are the closest you'll get on that side of things, as well.

Major + fucking 1.

Duende is UNBELIEVABLE... Major Tom I always liked but rarely use for whatever reason (probably because we have a real 160a I can always use if i want "that" sound... it's very distinct)!!.

VCC is a MUST have, of course. Without the shadow of a doubt..... I wouldn't EVER want to mix ITB without it. Seriously. YES.

plugs I can't live without:

Avid HEAT
CraneSong Phoenix
MetricHalo ChannelStrip

Plugs I'm using a lot:
Waves CLA comps
Waves SSL
Waves API (mainly the EQ, loving it for vocals)
McDSP AC1/2 (When I want more of that Jakob Hansen Vibe I'm using the AC2 instead of the Phoenix on the 2bus)

plugs I'm using sometimes:
URS Phat C (quite nice actually)
Decapitator
BlueTubes Driver
VirSyn Vtape
Renaissance Comp

and then there ar emany I haven't even tried, mainly the Waves v-series, Hcomp etc

Hell yeah guys! Thanks for the replies. I made a quick drum clip using all 'analog' vsts. Mainly URS, Sonalksis, API, some SSL stuff. But all of the EQ/comp is analog based. I fucking love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
surprised you weren't doing this earlier, NS...! Analog emu's are really the only plugs I use. Not BECAUSE they emulate analog hardware, but because they're the only ones I geniunely DIG and find USEABLE...

drum clip sounds okay. SNR comp is a bit weird and the attack on it is very 'ITB compressed' sounding.... as much as i hate to say that and sound like a snob, hahaha

I agree with everyone that the CLA waves plugs rock. VCC all the way too. I tried the demo for SSL duende, and really enjoyed it (Drumstrip was pretty nice). I need to pick those up ASAP