Neuraxis - The Thin Line Between

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
So I've been cranking the new Neuraxis like crazy and DAMN, the production is just JAW DROPPING! That is probably my favourite guitar sound ever and the drums sound fantastic as well. Guitars are 5150 and 5150 II, but what gets me is this... Check out the gear list of the dude who recorded/mixed/mastered the record...

GEAR LIST/LISTE D’EQUIPEMENT
Outboard gear/equipement externe:
-Vintech X73I (Neve 1073) (2)
-dbx 160A (1)
-TL audio 5001 (1)
-Sansamp RBI (1)
-A.R.T. tps II (tube preamp) (2)
-Focusrite Saffire pro 10 I/O (2)
-Patchbay
-V amp pro rackmount (1)
-Behringer racktuner (1)
-Korg DTR-1 rackmount tuner (1)

Guitar amps:

-Peavyey 6505 (1)
-Peavey 6505+ (1)
-Mesa/boogie single rectifier (1)
-Mesa/boogie DC-5 (1)
-Mesa/boogie cabinet (with vintage 30)
-Vader cabinet (eminence)
-Marshall jcm 800 cabinet (1)
-several pedals (tube screamer, super overdrive, gate...)

Monitoring:
-Yamaha NS-10M
-Behringer 2031A
-KRK Rokit 10
-22" LCD screen
-Allen & Heath WZ16:2DX (monitoring only)
-Vic firth drum headphones
-Audio technica headphones:
-ATH M30 (2)
-ATH M40 fs (1)

Microphones:
-Neumann TLM 103 (1)
-Shure SM7B (1)
-Audio technica 4041 (3)
-Audio technica AT 3035 (1)
-Audio technica AT 2020 (1)
-Audio technica AT 2021 (1)
-Audio technica ATM31a (1)
-Senheizer 609 (1)
-AKG P200 (2)
-Shure sm57 (2)
-Shure sm58 (1)
-Shure beta 52 (1)
-Shure beta 56a (1)
-Shure beta 91 (2)
-Shure pg 56 (3)
-Shure pg 52 (1)
-Apex 435 (3)
-Apex 430 (1)
-Apex 130 (1)
-Apex 190 (1)
-Radial J48 (1)
-Radial PRO DI (1)
-Radial X-AMP (1)
-Radial JDX (1)
-Red box (1)

Backup mics:
-Apex 126 (4)
-Behringer C2 (2)
-MXL 990 (1)
-MXL 991 (1)
-MXL 770 (1)

Software-hardware/Logiciels-informatique:

-Pentium D duo core 2.8
-2go ram
-160Go hardrive (main)
-500 Go hardrive (internal for backup)
-500 Go hardrive (external for backup)
-320 Go hardrive (external for backup)
-Focusrite saffire pro 10 I/O (2)...(16 input at the same time)
-Cubase 4
-several plugins (Waves, SSL 4000, API collection, URS....)

Now, this is obviously by no means bad gear, there's some awesome stuff in there but this is mostly prosumer level stuff, and based on the studio videos I've seen, there is no acoustic treatment in this guys space either. Just unreal to hear the sort of results that a good pair of ears can come up with regardless of gear and room... Makes me want to give up :lol:

fuck dude i cant wait to pick up this album but im gona have to wait for the summer slaughter tour ahhhh a whole month to wait.

I was just listening to the new track on their Myspace...

And i was thinking about how i don't like the production :) It's not a bad production but it's very sterile, fake sounding, way too polished, not in your face at all. I assessed the same thing with God Forbid's "Constitution of treason" album, whereas the production on "Gone forever" was awesome (one of the best if not the best guitar sound i've ever heard on a metal album).
I hate this type of guitar sound on this new Neuraxis album and on God Forbid's "constitution of treason". It sounds like a crappy amp sim from the first multi-effects units with amp sims (Boss ME series for instance) with way too much gain.

Back to Neuraxis, I've just heard 2 new tracks but i've been disappointed since ok it's decent but it sounds more like an average death metal with proggy stuff... whereas the previous albums were crazy, brutal, a lot of awesome ideas, fresh-sounding, etc...

I was just listening to the new track on their Myspace...

And i was thinking about how i don't like the production :) It's not a bad production but it's very sterile, fake sounding, way too polished, not in your face at all. I assessed the same thing with God Forbid's "Constitution of treason" album, whereas the production on "Gone forever" was awesome (one of the best if not the best guitar sound i've ever heard on a metal album).
I hate this type of guitar sound on this new Neuraxis album and on God Forbid's "constitution of treason". It sounds like a crappy amp sim from the first multi-effects units with amp sims (Boss ME series for instance) with way too much gain.

Back to Neuraxis, I've just heard 2 new tracks but i've been disappointed since ok it's decent but it sounds more like an average death metal with proggy stuff... whereas the previous albums were crazy, brutal, a lot of awesome ideas, fresh-sounding, etc...

Here's an e-card with better quality audio...
http://www.prostheticrecords.com/ecards/neuraxis/

I dunno, different tastes I guess but I think this album destroys Trilateral and anything before it. I much prefer Rob's writing style to Steven's and now with Steve out of the band it seems like this album is the direction Rob wanted to take the band all along... The best tracks on the album aren't on the e-card so give it a chance once you hear the whole thing.

Here's an e-card with better quality audio...
http://www.prostheticrecords.com/ecards/neuraxis/

I dunno, different tastes I guess but I think this album destroys Trilateral and anything before it. I much prefer Rob's writing style to Steven's and now with Steve out of the band it seems like this album is the direction Rob wanted to take the band all along... The best tracks on the album aren't on the e-card so give it a chance once you hear the whole thing.

Listening to the e-card at now (thanks for the link). I'll check the album out.

The 2d riff on "Versus" sounds very Mastodon-ish (kinda sad arpeggio riff).

I love the first "heavy" riff (i mean the one right after the acoustic guitar intro) on "the all and the nothing". Could be from a Vehemence song also.

Though after listening to those 3 tracks i find this stuff less catchy and less inspired (no "awesome" part except the forementioned riff in "the all and the nothing") than the previous stuff they've released. Gonna check the rest of the songs.

I wasnt the hugest fan of trilateral. a passage is probably my fav. i remember tommy came to my home town with nefastus (shitty black metal band who`s guitar player puts a fan n front of him to blow his hair around, how epic) back in the day. ive always liked his drumming. the new album is pretty tight, but like i said i prefer the older material

thanks for the details forbidden! i am also digging the guitar sound!

all this talk about how good/bad this production is, and all the gear used on it... but not one mention of the guy's name. so... who was it?