Analogue EQ goes on.. Analogue EQ goes off (Check it out)

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Ok, so I JUST purchased an oldschool 1979 Audioarts 4200A 2channel parametric eq....

What I wanted to do is simply run a RAW reamped guitar signal through the unit, while the ACTUAL eq themselves were in bypass mode and see what effect it had on the tone. Personally.. It really seems like it cleans it up, I love what it does to it even without any actual EQ being applied.

The first run through of the clip is WITHOUT the EQ in the chain, the second run through is WITH the EQ in the chain *But the EQ unit itself on bypass mode*

Enjoy

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/306055/Eq test.wav

Are you sure it's not just the conversion of the signal out and into the box again that is playing along here? Sorry to be THAT guy, but it did cross my mind ;)

Grats on the new acquisition by the way!

Are you sure it's not just the conversion of the signal out and into the box again that is playing along here? Sorry to be THAT guy, but it did cross my mind ;)

Grats on the new acquisition by the way!

Shouldnt be the case, I have done something to test. That a while ago. I have a signal run from 1 output back into th input of my rme to test that when I got my GSSL, never noticed a difference :)
But that's a very valid possibility in general

Shouldnt be the case, I have done something to test. That a while ago. I have a signal run from 1 output back into th input of my rme to test that when I got my GSSL, never noticed a difference :)
But that's a very valid possibility in general

Good, that should exclude the possibility then. Felt a bit like a party-crasher for posting that suggestion, since you just got the thing and all :D But yea, the amount of parts in a chain that can influence the sound is dazzling, so it's good to know what exactly you're dealing with when doing A/B tests.

I don't know these EQs btw. Anything you like in particular about it so far? Are you using it as a masterbus tool, or for general toneshaping?

Must admit, I wouldn't mind having a few actual knobs to twist when it comes to EQ... Plugins, while doing their job, are often extremely boring and "disconnected" to work with. It can be hard to pay full attention to what you're hearing while trying to operate a mouse on precision level.

That, and you can't change more than one parameter at the time (well, with some controllers you can, but still), which really sucks when it comes to EQ tweaking.

Good, that should exclude the possibility then. Felt a bit like a party-crasher for posting that suggestion, since you just got the thing and all :D But yea, the amount of parts in a chain that can influence the sound is dazzling, so it's good to know what exactly you're dealing with when doing A/B tests.

I don't know these EQs btw. Anything you like in particular about it so far? Are you using it as a masterbus tool, or for general toneshaping?

Must admit, I wouldn't mind having a few actual knobs to twist when it comes to EQ... Plugins, while doing their job, are often extremely boring and "disconnected" to work with. It can be hard to pay full attention to what you're hearing while trying to operate a mouse on precision level.

Cheers dude XD

What I'm liking in particular so far is how smooth it is. It's great for boosting and cutting. I've only had it for a week and haven't had much to use it on, but I've played with it on individual elements and a little on the mix bus too. On the buss it's great, you can really add some air to a mix without it sounding odd as I've noticed it does with digital EQ's.

I LOVE it on drums. mostly toms and kick so far. So it's probably going to be a work horse on those. I like it on guitars, but until I get a proper mix going, I can't commit to how I feel about. But overall, it's achieving the effect I desired from it, so I'm very glad I got it :)