5150 and FX question + Rob Arnold setup question.

Downtuned

Losethehorizonagain
Mar 25, 2011
UK
I've just seen the "Rob Arnold Rig rundown" video on youtube and it was really interesting but what caught my eye is that he mentioned not having to push loads of buttons to get tones and I followed him upto a point then I got confused.

I'm wanting to replicate what he does with my gear because no matter what setup I do I still find myself having to push at least 2 buttons to get a tone

he has a 6505+ with a GSP FX unit and I have a 5150mk1 And a podxt.

This is what it says on the video info-

"Basically the signal from my guitar flows through the front of the GSP, and then is sent to my amp in two different ways... The main out goes through my noise gate, and then into my amps input. This is for channels 1-3. But then I also send the signal out through the FX loop for channel 4. When this happens, the GSP tells the 6505+ that it only needs its power amp, and not its preamp. So when you bypass the preamp, there is no distortion, because the preamp is what makes the amp sound the way you want it to sound....distortion, EQ, etc. So in this case, now the GSP's clean tone is sent to the amp, and the power amp makes the signal loud and audible. Now when I switch back to channel 1, the signal is re-routed back to normal, and I'm using the 6505+'s preamp again."

Does he mean the FX out of the GSP or the 6505+ and where does that go to? Assuming that channel 4 is his clean channel won't he still have to select channel 4 on the fx unit and hit the FX loop button on the amp footswitch?

I myself have 3 tones - Straight heavy Rhythm with no fx at all, a lead channel (basically the rhythm but with some delay and reverb) and a clean channel which has chorus and reverb on it.

I'd love to just use the 5150's preamp for my rhythm (and my lead) but I can't see how to down it without pushing 2 buttons at some point, which isn't very good because some of my songs require quick changes between tones. For example changing between a rhythm and a clean sound would require me to turn off the distortion, change to the clean FX on my FX unit and then hit the FX loop on my 5150 switch.

I'm sorry if this has been cleared up in another post but I got sort of excited and blurted all of the above out. Phew, thanks.

This is called the 4 cable method, and it's not possible with the PODxt.

Guitar -> Processor input
Processor FX send -> amp input
Amp FX send -> processor FX return
Processor output -> amp FX return

This isolates the amp's preamp within the loop of the FX processor and allows the loop to be activated/deactivated to switch between amp distortion and some other form of preamp tone - usually a clean tone from the FX processor, since the 5150 has literally no clean channel. It also allows, through use of selective pre/post fx loop routing, effects from the processor to be used with the gain from the amp.

The PODxt doesn't have an FX loop, and for some reason the PODxt Pro doesn't work in this configuration (you can get dirty from the 5150 and clean from the XT, but you can't use FX from the POD with the 5150's gain, it triggers the wet signal based off the DI guitar signal for some shitty reason).

The most common processors to be used with the 5150 for this method are the Boss GT-series floorboards and the Digitech GSP1101 rackmount preamp/processor.

This is called the 4 cable method:
Guitar -> Processor input
Processor FX send -> amp input
Amp FX send -> processor FX return
Processor output -> amp FX return

The most common processors to be used with the 5150 for this method are the Boss GT-series floorboards and the Digitech GSP1101 rackmount preamp/processor.

I do this with my Peavey 6505 and my Boss GT8. The amp control feature on the Boss unit also let me switch channel on the 6505.

I do this with my Peavey 6505 and my Boss GT8. The amp control feature on the Boss unit also let me switch channel on the 6505.

;) Just upgraded from the GT-6 to the GT-8 to do the same exact thing, and use the GT8's internal TS instead of having a separate pedal.

Are you using a TRS or just a standard TS cable to do the channel switching on the amp?

;) Just upgraded from the GT-6 to the GT-8 to do the same exact thing, and use the GT8's internal TS instead of having a separate pedal.

Are you using a TRS or just a standard TS cable to do the channel switching on the amp?

I made my "own" adaptor to go with the 1/4" remote input on my 6505. The "channel" switch on the 6505/5150 head is on the ring of the stereo 1/4 plug. The tip is for the FX loop on/off.

You'll need a male 1/4 stereo and a female 1/4 mono. You can get these at any cheap electronic chop (around 2$ for all the parts).

So you link the tip of 1/4 female mono to the ring of the 1/4 male stereo. Grounds are link together. Forget about the tip of the stereo plug and cut it!! Yes cut it, you'll see it in my pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jbaubry/6505RemoteAdaptor?authkey=Gv1sRgCPDNjaLxmMjb-wE#

Then you'll use any regular 1/4 instrument cable between the GT8 amp control output (see back of unit) and the female connector of my home-made adaptor. The 1/4 stereo plug of the adaptor will go into the amp remote input.

Voilà! Works like a charm!

BTW, been doing some tests with the "clean" channel of my 6505 and with a TS sim in front you can get some real decent crunchy tones.

This amp keeps impressing me.

Now if Boss could come up with a decent upgrade of the GT serie. I don't see the point moving from my GT8 to the 10. But for you, from the 6 to the 8 gives ya access to all the OD simulations + the FX loop.

Ahh right so it's set up so the GSP can control if the preamp is on or off with it's own switch.

Right that's cool, thanks, I was really confused. I guess I'd better get saving.

Don't know for the GSP but on the Boss GT8/10 there is a "amp control" input that acts the same as a regular one button footswitch. The receipe I described above is for a Boss GT8/10 + 5150/6505 amp. It also works with a Marshall DSL50/100 (I own a DSL50 too) and a Traynor YCV40 combo (also in my amp collection). But on those last 2, I don't need the adaptor I created, only on the 6505/5150.

Remember, this could be different depending on your amp/fx unit with amp switching feature.

Keep us posted.

I recently just completely rearranged my rig and picked up a 6505 and have been on the hunt for a clean amp. The GSP 1101 seems intriguing. Theoretically I could leave my Maxon OD808 on all of the time in a rack in front of the Peavey...and then via the foot controller just switch to the GSP 1101 through the FX loop of the amp killing the signal to the Maxon and the front of my amp correct? Forgive the noob-ness, I've just always been a straight ahead amp and stomp box guy. This would relieve a lot of tap dancing and eliminate the need for a second amp live.

I recently just completely rearranged my rig and picked up a 6505 and have been on the hunt for a clean amp. The GSP 1101 seems intriguing. Theoretically I could leave my Maxon OD808 on all of the time in a rack in front of the Peavey...and then via the foot controller just switch to the GSP 1101 through the FX loop of the amp killing the signal to the Maxon and the front of my amp correct? Forgive the noob-ness, I've just always been a straight ahead amp and stomp box guy. This would relieve a lot of tap dancing and eliminate the need for a second amp live.

you should be able to do this with the 1101, yes.