Anathema - The Optimist

TheLongshot

Feb 11, 2002
Visit site
https://www.facebook.com/notes/anat...-studio-album-the-optimist/10155255551173629/

DUE OUT ON KSCOPE ON 9TH JUNE 2017
17435994_10155255570648629_7570798257854895692_o.jpg

optimist /ˈɒptɪmɪst/
noun: optimist; plural noun: optimists
1. a person who tends to be hopeful and confident about the future or the success of something.
2. a person who believes that this world is the best of all possible worlds or that good must ultimately prevail over evil.

After Anathema’s 2012 award-winning album Weather Systems and 2014’s spellbinding Distant Satellites, the ambient rockers are back with their eleventh full-length, The Optimist. Due for release on 9th June through Kscope The Optimist will soon reveal some of the darkest, most challenging and unexpected music the sextet have put their name to.

Anathema, led by brothers Daniel and Vincent Cavanagh, along with drummer John Douglas, singer Lee Douglas, bassist Jamie Cavanagh and drummer/keyboardist Daniel Cardoso began recording The Optimist in the winter of 2016 at Attica Audio in Donegal, Ireland and then finished at Castle Of Doom studios in Glasgow with producer Tony Doogan [Mogwai, Belle & Sebastian, Super Furry Animals] at the helm. Vincent elaborates on Doogan’s influence on the recording process “he suggested that we record as a live band, which we hadn’t done for years. Having played a few tunes on the last tour, we were ready for that. Tony wanted to capture that energy you can only get with everyone facing each other… it makes a big difference. He was a superb guy to work with and I learned a lot making this record”

The idea for The Optimist was born from the front cover artwork of the band’s 2001 album A Fine Day To Exit Daniel Cavanagh explains “I suppose you might say the album is semi-autobiographical because this time we used a surrogate,” he says, of the character that is The Optimist “We put sound, feelings and crucially, our own hopes and fears into another person and made him the subject of the songs then weaving my own internal monologue into the narrative of The Optimist. It was John’s idea to write a narrative, so I took A Fine Day To Exit as the starting point”. Vincent elaborates further on the earlier album’s artwork influence “The guy who disappeared – you never knew what happened to him, did he start a new life? Did he succumb to his fate? It was never explained. The opening track title is the exact coordinates for Silver Strand beach in San Diego – the last known location of The Optimist – shown on the cover of A Fine Day to Exit.”

To continue the theme further, the band brought back designer and illustrator Travis Smith to create the artwork for The Optimist. The artwork was created from a series of photographs Smith took on a West Coast road trip.

With the character’s unresolved destiny the three song writing members, meticulously brought the unfinished story to an end – and most strikingly of all – one which is decided by the listener.

32.63N 117.14W (01:18)
Leaving It Behind (04:27)
Endless Ways (05:49)
The Optimist (05:37)
San Francisco (04:59)
Springfield (05:49)
Ghosts (04:17)
Can`t Let Go (05:00)
Close Your Eyes (03:39)
Wildfires (05:40)
Back To The Start (11:41)

The Persefone is my AOTY at the moment.

Anathema, however, are one of the few bands that have a chance at dethroning it.

This teaser sounds incredibly dark and haunting, yet the "optimist" theme suggests this will be a perfect blend of old and new - sort of an "answer" to the old, despair-ridden Anathema, even.

I like the way this album is being described, experimental and a concept album. A lot of writing credits from John Douglas as well, oh boy.

I'm going to see them in the Netherlands in June - a club show and Midsummer Prog Fest. I'm actually going because it's a belated birthday shindig trip in general, but the shows were conveniently timed. I'm hoping there will be other shows schedule while I'm there, though, because it sounds like they'll probably be here in late August (nothing has been announced, but they've been hinting loudly for the last few weeks that they're working on something here, and they're already playing Latin/South America in early/mid August) and that time frame is one of the few non-negotiable blackout periods at work.

Reactions: Islandstone
ANATHEMA ANNOUNCE NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES

anathemanatourapril.jpg

North American tour dates:

August
16 Baltimore, MD Soundstage
17 New York, NY Gramercy Theater
18 Boston, MA Brighton Music Hall
19 Quebec, QC Saile Multi
20 Montreal, QC Astral
21 Toronto, ON Opera House
23 Chicago, IL Bottom Lounge
24 Cleveland, OH House of Blues
25 Philadelphia, PA Theatre of Living Arts

Tickets are available this Friday, April 21st. For more details, visit http://www.facebook.com/anathemamusic .

Reactions: Tommy3328
Slightly infuriating - No west coast dates. I've noticed this for some other tours as well. I guess it just doesn't make financial sense or something?

In any case, I'm strongly considering making the trip from San Francisco to Chicago. A lucky coincidence that the top two tours of the year will hit Chicago within a couple days of each other. Cult of Luna w/ Julie Christmas on August 21st (playing The Mariner in its entirety) and Anathema on the 23rd.

Slightly infuriating - No west coast dates. I've noticed this for some other tours as well. I guess it just doesn't make financial sense or something?

In any case, I'm strongly considering making the trip from San Francisco to Chicago. A lucky coincidence that the top two tours of the year will hit Chicago within a couple days of each other. Cult of Luna w/ Julie Christmas on August 21st (playing The Mariner in its entirety) and Anathema on the 23rd.
They did reference a return to North America for other dates as well when they announced these original dates.

Album Review: Anathema – The Optimist

Oh my....

"...In comparison to its recent predecessors The Optimist is frightening, but it’s frightening in a way that’s primally, morbidly fascinating. This comes, however, with the unavoidable fact that, despite its accessibility, one wouldn’t take it on unless the mood, surroundings and general state of mind were all totally in the right place. The Optimist is a record you play for the sheer catharsis of it — a work of art to plug into when grey buildings and greyer skies tower too densely around you, and you wish for nothing more than to close your eyes and feel the terrible greatness of nature swallow you up...."

I'll be at the Baltimore, NYC, and Boston shows.

Teasers 2 and 3 are up on the FB page as well.

Also - yes, they are planning a much more expansive tour of the US, including the west coast. They do not have dates or cities nailed down yet, although I am guessing it will be early next year judging by their current tour schedule.

https://www.facebook.com/anathemanorthamerica/ <-- updates happen there a lot faster than here!