Anathema - The Optimist

Teaser 6 - Ghosts. I've been waiting for this one since I heard a recording from a UK show in November.

Got my copy in the mail today and I'm blown away by this cd. Distant Satellites was good for me, but this one....up there with We're Here Because We're Here. Second spin already today.

I've been listening to the album for over a month now. Upon first few listens its really didn't grab me. It's a very different album from anything they've released before. The album plays out like a musical suite rather than a bunch of individual songs. It is also a lot more in a post rock style than ever before, so the vocals really take a back seat (compared to past releases) on this album. But boy is it at a grower, now I'm totally in love with it. Its an album that reveals itself over multiple listens.

I saw them a couple weeks ago (both fantastic shows), and Vincent confirmed that they are indeed coming back for a more expansive tour of the US in February, after Cruise to the Edge. So if you can't make it to the East Coast/Great Lakes next month, there will be other options next winter.

I saw them a couple weeks ago (both fantastic shows), and Vincent confirmed that they are indeed coming back for a more expansive tour of the US in February, after Cruise to the Edge. So if you can't make it to the East Coast/Great Lakes next month, there will be other options next winter.

Yeah, there has already been an announcement of a Baltimore date in mid August.

It hasn't revealed anything to me after multiple listens...I am disappointed by this album and surprised it's getting a lot love here..I find myself just bored by this one in comparison to their last few.

It hasn't revealed anything to me after multiple listens...I am disappointed by this album and surprised it's getting a lot love here..I find myself just bored by this one in comparison to their last few.
I think it's a solid album, but I'm not totally in love with it. The first single was exceptional, but the rest of the album is just good (except the first song; always skip that one).

Last edited:
It's not my *favorite* album, I will say that, but I enjoy it a lot. Approaching it as a soundtrack to an episode of life is what makes it work for me: it's somebody unsuccessfully trying to escape the bullshit in their life, and descending into a bad dream or even a hallucination. It's meant to be cinematic as much as it is audio, and they're trying to work out a video and light rig for the fall tour in Europe and subsequently the US tour this winter.

I do like that it goes a different direction of sorts than the last three albums. It is also pretty obvious that the album is a concept album of sorts and the songs work with each other. Whether it is as good as previous albums is still up in the air with me.

Anyone planning on seeing them in Boston and dont have tickets yet? I won't be in town due to work obligations, so my tickets don't do me any good now. If anyone is interested, send me a private message. Thanks