Ancient Rites - RVBICON (or Karen is Biased dot com)

Dead_Lioness

Godless
May 31, 2002
Arlington, Virginia
Visit site
You know when it comes to some bands, I’m really biased. I love them so much that I will ignore any “sell outs” ,becoming more catchy or flaming homosexuality that might occur.
There are several bands like that in my world, for example: the Flemish: Ancient Rites.
So ok, they are also my good friends, but I appreciate them as more than just that… as people, as musicians, as artists and above all: as the friends they are to me.

Their new album RVBICON has been delivered to my house a week ago, and I’ve been listening to it ever since. I didn’t expect to hear a tr00- Black metal album like their old material, because after all, Dim Carcosa their previous album, was more folk/black/ catchy tunes than the really old BM ones. Ancient Rites have come a log way from 3 people in the band, corpse paint, and buckets of cow blood, to 7 members and a more solid look. They now have 3 guitarist: They brought back their old-school one, and two others, a drummer, a keyboard player, their old keyboardist is now on Bass, and the singer who used to be the bassist, is now doing vocals only. Confused yet?
7 members and finally after almost 6 years they released a new album.

So Black Metal it’s not anymore, but it is still an excellent album non-the-less.
This is exactly the kind of albums that I will normally make fun of, (and you all know me by now) but this is too good … way too good. With touches of power metal, catchy guitars, fast drums and keyboards Ancient Rites wrote another concept, full of history and folk album that I simply love. 3 Guitar players sound so good… the guitars are so great on this album, with unique sound and riffs, and yes, very catchy. The drums are fantastic as always, very fast and dynamic, the vocals sometimes feature clean moments, and not just rough growls, with an addition of female vocals in some songs, and the keyboards… of course.
Now, I would gladly throw the keyboards right into the North Sea and look at Davey straight into the eyes and say: “what the hell were you thinking?!” The keyboards are the only thing that I can say that I hate on this album… its just… too much of them.. I always admired bands who never used keyboards, but if you do: learn how to monitor them to be “just right” Its sad that not many bands know the right amount of “shaabam” that layers of guitars can create better than any keyboards behind the rhythm guitars..…
I would gladly throw away the female vocalist all the way to the North, and tell her to look for her missing friends from Within Temptation… Let Holland have her, she has no place in Ancient Rites. (sorry Holland)
Other than that: what a fantastic album, lyrics full of history, music of flavors.
I love it!!!!

I’m done with my biased opinion, carry on.

RVBICON.jpg

Nice review Karen! I have heard one song of the new CD which I liked so I am looking forward to getting it. I might be a little biased too though seeing as I know a few of the guys too. Sitting and talking history and travel with Gunther is something I could do for hours and hours! The guys knows his stuff.

I didn't read all that but Dim Carcosa wasn't very "black metal" either. So how does it compare to Dim Carcosa?

And more importantly, is it true that they're going to be at HC2???

JayKeeley said:
And more importantly, is it true that they're going to be at HC2???

Well we have not started planning a HC2 yet. We have tossed a few names around of bands we'd like, AR being one of them, but nothing more than that.

AR at HC2 would be cool. Get Obtest!!!!!

and yes i will be there ths year. the wife is letting me go :loco:

JayKeeley said:
For those of you possibly going to HC2, which bands would you want to see?

Just some random bands from varying genres (some may not even qualify for consideration, but what the heck, I'd love to see any of 'em):

Amorphis
Amon Amarth
Enslaved
Entombed
Falkenbach
Grave
Manegarm
Naglfar
Satyricon
Skyclad
Immortal (if the reunite talk is true)
Vreid

Also, any of these returning acts from last year would be more than welcome: Moonsorrow, Primordial, Thyrfing and November's Doom.

man, immortal at HC2 would be out of this world.

If HC2 stickes with the 3 headliner system, then let this trio pave the way...

Immortal
Ancient Rites
Manegarm

...although a variation of any of those from the list would rule. I mean, Amon Amarth can lift every show from grade B to A.

aeternus, requiring them to only play stuff pre-shadows of old

maybe bring in Rudra since Hindus or whatever need representation